Forum

limbs??

Is it normal to maybe have had ms for 14yrs but to have never lost the use of a limb yet? This is my main fear but my partner keeps saying to me but you never have in all these years but it doesnt stop me worrying. My right arm and leg sometimes feel odd and weaker but i can always use them and the feeling only lasts a few days. My right arm feels weird today and pains in my little finger and i start panicking it’s going to get worse. Whenever the gp or neuro do strength tests etc they always comment how strong i am so why do i get the feeling my right arms weaker??

I’ve never “lost the use of a limb”, unless you count very isolated and shortlived occasions when I’ve woken up with a “dead” arm, which was flailing about uselessly and knocking things over, but regained sensation quickly once I was up and about. I’m coming up to the 4-year anniversary of diagnosis, but at my last consultation, we discussed how I might have had it as long as 24! (From episodes I recall in my 20s) If you can go (up to) 24 years without losing use of a limb, I’m sure you can go 14. I’m sure many people with MS have never lost the use of a limb outright, even if it’s weak, numb, or both. Why are you preoccupied with this scenario? I agree with your partner; if it hasn’t happened in 14 years of having symptoms, it doesn’t sound particularly likely now. Tina

I don’t know why i am pre occupied with this scenario Anitra. I just always associate ms with eventually ending up in a wheelchair

Hi again,

Are you aware that most people with MS do NOT become full-time wheelchair users?

I’m not going to be so crass as to pretend it never happens, and the unpredictability of the illness is such that even those of us who are doing well don’t make the mistake of thinking it could never be us. BUT, there’s a difference between accepting it as a possibility, and worrying about it occasionally - which I’m sure everyone does - and treating it as inevitable. Do you worry about having an accident each time you step outside your home? Do you worry about developing another serious illness, such as cancer? These things are possible too, but not worth giving squatters’ rights in your head. Lots of horrid things are possible - most won’t happen. And for those that do, most of us cope better than we thought.

Tina

x

i think a lot of us do zipster

I’d say it’s always at the back of my mind. I have relapses where I can’t walk and end up in my chair. This may last a few months and then I’m back to limpy walking then walking( though I always ever off to one side). So I often think of when it will happen again; then I get annoyed at myself for thinking negatively, then I get on with it and make the most of while I can walk. It’s only human to fear the worst, but you can take control of the feelings. Sometimes a thought can become a habit and it makes you think of it more and more, kind of feeding the fear. A good thing I do is as soon as I start thinking something negative, I totally distract myself. It works for me. I hope you find a way to deal with it. It’s not an unusual feeling Hun xxx

Maybe a silly question but you know when you can’t walk is it that your legs are weak or is it painful and stiff or numb??

Not necessarily any of those. In the worst case it is that motor signals - i.e. ones controlling movement - simply can’t get through. So although you can think: “Leg, move!” the leg may not be able to receive the message, and therefore cannot respond. Sensory and motor signals are independent, so it’s possible to have one affected without the other, or a combination. Just because a limb “feels funny” doesn’t mean there is necessarily motor (movement) impairment. Pain can be present with or without motor impairment, as well. Tina