Sorry for my ignorance

Good morning all, having just been diagnosed, and still going through all emotions under sun, and I know everyone is different…but

Do most MS sufferers eventually need a wheelchair?

Thanks,

Ann.

Hello Ann

No. Don’t expect that. Maybe 40 years ago the outlook was grimmer. But today, with DMDs, physio, good MS nurse, the understanding that exercise help, dietary and alternative therapies, the future looks a lot brighter for most people.

Sue

Hi Ssssue,

Thanks for that, I needed to hear it. Nice to know I may still have a future.

Ann.

Hi Anne,

I agree with Sue, there is no need to assume that you will end up in a wheelchair.

You don’t say which form of MS you’ve been diagnosed with, but if you’ve been looking for the course the disease will take, then you’ll almost inevitably be reading about worst case scenarios.

Not that using a wheelchair is necessarily a negative thing. I have one but rarely use it. However, it’s good to know it’s there when I want to. Actually I only get it out when I want to spend a couple of hours gardening.

Best wishes,

Anthony

1 Like

When you’ve just been diagnosed, you obviously focus on the worst case scenario, which in many minds is the dreaded wheelchair. Sometimes, when people do start using one, it actually gives them more freedom if they’ve been having trouble walking and with fatigue. But there are far more mobile MSers than wheelies.

It’s completely reasonable to be scared at your position, not knowing what happens next and fearing your future.

Rest assured, you will have one. And you have been diagnosed at a time when there are so many ways of keeping your mobility. You will soon see your MS nurse hopefully and then things might come a bit clearer.

And you don’t need to apologise for not knowing what is likely for you. It takes years to learn even as much as I know, which isn’t a massive amount, even though sometimes it seems like it just remember I’ve had more than 20 years to slowly learn. And you know so much more than I did at the start. Plus you have all the online resources available to you, plus us!

Sue

hi

i’m ten years post diagnosis and still hobbling about on my wonky legs.

if john cleese could see me i’d be invited into the ministry of silly walks!

1 Like

Sadly I lost a friend late last year to bone cancer. She had RRMS for 40 years and was still working at 67 my age, she travelled all around europe in her job. Yes she had some relapses over the 40 years but was never left so bad she couldnt carry on with her life. She was amazing.

I think some of it is state of mind too she was determined to have a life. Her brother also has MS long term and is in his sixties but not in a wheelchair. Both had DMD over the years. She told me she was hit hard at 27 with her diagnosis, but in those days no facebook or google and just got on with it, she had no idea even then what MS was and to be honest she never went on facebook or groups, i only had the privilege to know her as i was selling some rare chickens, and had put them for sale in Rare Poultry Society magazine.

She was lovely. Slim, ate really well, but she really liked her gin and tonic lol. God i miss her she would always cheer me up.