Lazy Eye

Pupil asked me at work today if I had ‘Lazy Eye’. I dont think he was being cheeky so I said what do you mean. He said your eyes dont seem to be completely working together. Never been said to me before, and if true, cant be that obvious as I havent noticed. Not diagnosed by the way. Any comments?

Hi, I had a lazy eye and didn’t realise until someone said to me (are you looking at me?) When I got home I looked in the mirror I saw why they asked me, my eyes weren’t working together. Apparently the muscles in the lazy eye had stretched, I had a simple operation now my eyes work together but Each eye works separately, hence I either look out of one eye or the other but not both at the same time. Hope this helps. Best get it checked out with an optician. Hope this helps. Janet x

I’ve had a lazy eye since birth. I look like Popeye on my baby pictures since I always squinted in sunlight too! I’ve worn specs since the age of four and a half. For some reason, it was never recommended that I have an operation to correct it so when I am tired my left eye goes to sit in the corner! My family always know when I am tired … I did have to have prisms for a couple of years (interestingly before I was diagnosed with MS) as the right eye started ‘wandering’ too. The prisms corrected it and now I don’t need them. I can’t see those ‘magic pictures’ because I cannot focus with both eyes at the same time.

Tracey x

Hiya,

If you mean one eye looks bigger than the other it is called Afferent Pupillary Defect (APD)

Afferent Pupillary Defect or Marcus-Gunn pupil is a condition of the eye where the pupil doesn’t dilate appropriately to the level of light reaching it. This will often result in one pupil appearing larger than the other (relative afferent pupillary defect - RAPD). This person with APD is often unaware of it except by looking in a mirror.

There are many causes of APD including Optic Neuritis (ON), glaucoma and optic nerve tumor. In multiple sclerosis, APD, is usually associated with damage to the optic nerve resulting from ON.

The reasons why afferent pupillary defect occurs with optic neuritis are complicated and involve the neuroanatomy of the visual pathways. Put simplistically, the eye in which the ON has occurred acts as if it is in a lower light situation than it really is and dilates more so that it can let more light hit the retina.

G

Thanks guys. So maybe I’d only notice if my eyes were tired. I dont think he meant pupils were dilating differently, more that they were not tracking together. Can this be MS related?

yes it most certainly can be ms related.

happend to me before dx. the double vision soon followed and my right eye ended up turning in real bad . went to docs and was admitted straight into hospital as he thought i could of had a brain tumer. anyway that was the start to my ms dx.

go and see your doctor and tell him your concerns

Thanks Mick, will book appt with opticians. Had an unexplained episode of doublevision couple of years back.

I have a lazy eye that has a relationship to multiple sclerosis

Sat, 2018-06-30 19:54 [quote=“Anonymous”] I have a lazy eye that has a relationship to multiple sclerosis [/quote] Almost a year later now since I discovered your comment but I am interested to know how you concluded the eye - ms relationship.

I have double vision, it was that that they put me forward for a MRI and found my lesions, I have had prisms ever since. Problem is now is it has got a little worse and I have just paid for new glasses. They are going to leave it at the moment and I will have another appointment in a couple of months to see if it’s any better.

Kay

Hi. I have got a nytagmus which affects both of my eyes. They flick to the left every time I blink.