Ladies - Any Advice?

Apologies in advance for the long post.

For the past year and a half i have suffered very heavy periods - coming to a head over Christmas / New Year when things were really bad (could’nt leave the bathroom for hours at a time!). After trying many treatments - the pill, the coil, the depo injection - I had numerous appointments for scans which showed I had several fibriods with a blood clot behind one of them. During this period I became very anemic and was prescribed iron tablets. I had an outpatient operation to basically have a look around and perform a d&c and fit another coil (which has helped with the bleeding), but the upshot is I need to have an MRI to find out exactly where the fibroids are before having another operation to remove them. Since the op (2 and a half weeks ago) i have been experiencing a lot of pain in my abdomen which is worrying me and I’m still bleeding. The hospital advised that both the pain and bleeding would stop within 5-7 days.

I guess what I’m asking is, has anyone else been in this situation?

I’ve been feeling terrible for weeks no doubt due to both the anemia and the MS. I take quite a cocktail of meds (tecfidera, pregabalin, amitryptilene, cetirizine and of course the iron tablets). For the past week I wake up in the morning feeling like I’ve slept under a concrete blanket with everything achey and heavy and on top of that the TN has reared it’s ugly head. All I want to do is sleep but I really can’t take anymore time off work as at the end of last year i was in and out for 3 months due to severe nerve pain and of course I’ll need more time off for the next op and recovery. It doesn’t help that I work in a small office (all males) who would rather stick pins in their eyes than hear about any womens troubles - just as i shiver at the thought of explaining any of this to my boss!

I’ve an appointment with my GP on Wednesday and I’m hoping she can help - but I won’t hold my breath!

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Murraymint x

Hiya

Did the docs mention anything about a medicine called Tranexamic acid? it’s used sometimes to stop or reduce heavy bleeding. Perhaps it is contraindicated for you but ask your gp anyway.

Good luck on Wednesday. I hope your gp can help.

xx

Yes, i tried tranexamix acid with no success. I’ve been bleeding continuously now since 2nd December - getting to the end of my rope!

I know the hospital was going to write to my GP with further instructions if things didn’t improve - I’m hoping for a bit more than “you’ll have to wait until you go back to the hospital”.

Thanks for replying.

Well You can’t carry on with heavy bleeding. I hope your gp will check your hb levels.you may need a blood transfusion.

Contact the department where you had the procedure and update them regarding your condition. Preferably today.

X

Thanks - fortunately since i had the coil fitted i can leave the house without worrying about leaking through my clothes - the bleeding is much more manageable. I just wonder if it’s ever going to stop. As usual getting to talk to or see a doctor takes an age - Wednesday can’t come soon enough.

They call it the curse - and it definitely is!

maybe you could ask your doctor to write a letter along with your sick note that will explain your problem and will save you from having to explain it to your boss,

carole x

1 Like

I definitely don’t think you should be at work, in your state as described.

I don’t get why you have to “explain it” to your boss. Don’t you have to fill in a sick form? Usually, if you even so much as hint at: “gynae problems”, there will NOT be an interrogation as to exactly what that consisted of!

As you so rightly say, they don’t want to hear it, so they’re not going to ask. You don’t have to be all that specific. Just specific enough that they’re pretty sure they don’t want to hear more.

They do know, however, that women do have bits that go wrong. I should have thought that, on top of an employee already having MS, would be more than enough to justify sickness absence.

Tina

x