Knocked down by motorcycle - 8 hours at A&E

So sorry to hear this Tina. Hope you make a quick recovery.

Anyone there with you?

Pat x

Thanks Pat, No, nobody here. That’s the whole reason hospital didn’t want to let me go. I couldn’t conjure up anyone to sit with me at zero notice Safety issues aside, I don’t want it. There’s nobody I’d choose to have with me when I’m not well - with the possible exception of my mum - but not summoning her from 100 miles away - she’d have a heart attack. So any “minder” would be technically unwanted, and I’m not in the best of moods for unwelcome guests - perhaps unsurprisingly, in the circumstances. I wouldn’t have come home if I wasn’t fairly confident the risks were low. I’m not exhibiting any of the classic symptoms of head-injury or concussion. Food is going in (and out) as usual. I know I’m such a worry-bunny, I’m sure the high heart rate was a red-herring, and just a reaction to being in the v. stressful environment of A&E. I think I was getting more stressed the longer I was there. The first couple of hours were OK, but eight were definitely not OK. Was starting to be seriously distressed and desperate to go home by then, and have a nice bath, and go to bed. T. xx

So sorry, Tina. What a horrid thing to happen. Get well soon.

Alison

x

I’m glad you are feeling a bit better today Tina, although you will probably ache for a few days. And being home probably helped calm you down.

If you have a head injury and live alone is usually a good idea to have a friend you can text every few hours just to make sure you are still ok etc. That way you don’t have to try to be cheerful for anyones benefit and it makes sure that if there is a problem you can get help quickly.

Good luck getting comfy with a bruised and battered bum.

Look after yourself

JBK xx

how horrible for you Tina, sending best wishes and postive thoughts for a speedy recovery. xx

What an awful thing to happen Tina!

Take care and get plenty of rest.

I suffer with anxiety also. I had to take my son to a&e on Saturday for an x-ray and my heart rate was through the roof. I thought i was going to pass out! so i can understand and sympathise with you about this.

You may feel pretty rough the next few days as the bruising comes out so take it easy.

Try not to be too independent as im sure there is a neighbour or friend who will be happy to get you shopping or anything you need.

If you are at all concerned about anything then ring your gp for a home visit to check you over.

I hope you feel better soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if you were in a bit of shock as well at the hospital.

Best wishes

Teresa.x

Hi Tina

Just seen this, what a dreadful experience for you, but I can understand your high heart rate, hospitals always have that effect on me.

Take it easy for a while, those sort of thinggs really do shake you up, hope you feel better soon.

Pam x

Oh Tina, that’s a horrible thing to happen, hope you are ok now, and that is a very long time to wait in a&e. Cheryl:-)

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, but glad you are not too bad apart from being funny colours now. They really should have fed you in A&E, I got a lovely bowl of soup and quite a few drinks when I was admitted.

Were the Police informed of the accident? The driver is obliged to do that within 24 hours.

Don’t forget that he should be insured and you are due compensation. I hope you’ve got his details and if he hasn’t reported it to the police you definitely should.

I am so sorry! I meant to ask how you are now - I hope you only end up with having bruises.

The whole thing must have been awful, and you deserve a big hug from all of us.

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

How are you feeling Tina?

Shazzie xx

Yeah, the police attended and took statements. I don’t think he’d actually intended to hang around for them - not out of malice, but because he was a bit clueless - but the bike wouldn’t restart anyway, so he didn’t get much choice. Don’t think there will be a prosecution or compensation, as I think it was probably my fault anyway. More worried he would sue ME. Don’t really know how it happened. I just didn’t see him at all, 'til he was right on me. I might still have jumped out of the way if I’d had quicker reactions, but I just stood there like a frightened rabbit, realising he was going to hit me. Lucky his mum had a bit more sense than he did - although I know you can’t expect most 17-year-olds to have a lot of sense. It didn’t seem to occur to him I might have unseen injuries, and that we couldn’t both just go home. Although I was able to stand, I didn’t know for sure nothing was broken, and I realised I’d hit my head and couldn’t just ignore it. Although, after my experience, if similar happened again - which I pray it doesn’t - I’m not absolutely positive I would go to hospital. After five hours, I was saying: “Look, I’m pretty sure I’m fine - why don’t I discharge myself?”, but staff persuaded me that would be silly, after already waiting so long. I think the problem arose because I wasn’t very seriously injured. I was repeatedly told: “Won’t be long now, you’re next!”, but then a more urgent admission came in. I can’t quibble with that - obviously more urgent cases have to take priority - but in practice, it meant I just never reached the front of the queue. The doctor came round several times, and asked had I had my X-rays and CT yet, but I still hadn’t. So without those, they had very little insight into whether I was hurt or not, and couldn’t make any decision what to do with me. T. x

Thanks again folks! Latest update is I’m still stiffening and the bruises are still blackening, so I’m not a pretty sight, although only one is on my face/head, so the real damage is not apparent 'til I’m starkers. I’ve never had so many bruises at once, and so big and black. I’ve also got a lot of grazes, which are trivial but stingy. Everything neurological seems fine though - or at least as fine as it was pre-accident. Haven’t noticed any deterioration in function, apart from the inevitable stiffness and wincing. The doctor did warn me I must not assume any new symptoms in the next few days are MS - especially any unexplained weakness. I’m very tired from the shock, and starting to feel incredibly sad. Which I know is silly, as I’ve had a lucky escape. But I’m feeling as if only sh1t ever happens recently. Particularly peed off as I was trying to pursue a new interest, to get me out more, and make life a bit nicer, and it was only the fourth session, and I’ve already missed one and ended up in hospital. I know it’s no good looking at it like that - these things can happen to anyone, at any time. Just seems a bit harsh that when I was trying to expand my horizons a bit, and do something a bit enriching, I have an accident so soon. I hope it doesn’t take away my confidence to go to college. I’m going to be frightened of that road now, although I’ve crossed it for years without incident. Tina x

Hi Tina,

Don’t be afraid of crossing the road, just make sure you do an extra check both ways. If you went to the bother of getting off your unbruised bum to go to college surely having a bruised one won’t put you off. In fact a bruised one will be more painful to lie about one so off you go.

I know an experience like this can put you off regardless of any disabilities but having coped with MS, you know you can cope with this too, just don’t go to college starkers just so you can show off your multi-coloured bruises.

Take care hun, lots of gentle hugs for your aches

JBK xx

Thanks JBK, It’s half-term next week, so I won’t be going again for another fortnight - but I don’t know if that’s good or bad. Obviously, there’s more chance I’ll have properly recovered by then, but also a longer gap before getting back into the routine, so more chance to lose confidence. I always found it difficult to set off on an Autumn/Winter afternoon to go to college, and worried that might be an issue for me, but now something nasty has happened on the way, even more so. I know I’ve got to try to separate college from the accident in my mind, and not think one has caused the other. It could have happened when I was out for a walk, or doing shopping. It’s not significant that it happened to be on the way to college, but I know it’s going to scare me to pass that spot again. Irrational, but true. T. x

Awww Tina. It is not being silly feeling sad. I would feel exactly the same if I had gone through what you had.

Stay strong sweets!!

((( Little tiny hugs )))

Shazzie xx

Not irrational…I have one of those ‘spots’ too. And you know my aversion to hospitals and the recent operation with a local anaesthetic to avoid them. Bit extreme maybe but I am so completely with you on both counts !! Catherine Xx

Thanks Shazzie, I just meant I should feel grateful I walked away, and am not dead, or in plaster/traction for six weeks, and completely out of action. But instead of thinking: “Phew, somebody must have been watching over me!”, I feel incredibly sad. The leaflets from the hospital did say I might have mood problems for a few days. I hope that’s all it is, and that it will blow over. T. x

I think thinking about the what ifs makes things worse.

I know you will be ok Tina but it will take a while.

If you need a chat then we are here for you til you can think straight again.

Shazzie xx