Knee support

Am thinking a walking stick is going to be highly impractical when I return to work and even a positive liability. Mainly using it to stop me sinking to the floor or stumbling when my left leg buckles. Wondering about wearing some kind of stiff knee support under trousers as an alternative. Anybody any ideas and if so how do you go about acquiring one and at what kind of cost?

hi,I went through the exact same thing, and as I worked in a primary school’s playground, didn’t have the luxury of sitting down! I bought (quite cheaply) a very thick,strong knee support bandage. I bought it from Boots, and it worked well and gave me a couple more years at work. Once I needed a stick though I had to leave (Health and Safety, not mine, the schoolchildren). Hope you find one that works for you, Lynne x

Thanks, when you say a knee bandage, do you mean shaped like a sleeve or a bandage roll?

Hi Good idea I use a ski knee brace it helps alot but I try not to use it all the time for fear of reliance

Good health

Mark

hi, the bandage I use is a tube, but has a different tension of material around the knee joint, and then a thicker material above and below the joint, so it is not exactly shaped but the different thickness of material do make it look like it is. I hope you undderstand my rubbish description!

Lynne x

Thanks Lynne and Mark for those really helpful suggestions. Will check out Boots store. Never thought of a Ski knee brace - didnt know they existed! Seen one online for about £28 which looks promising. Did both your legs go eventually?

Thanks Lynne and Mark for those really helpful suggestions. Will check out Boots store. Never thought of a Ski knee brace - didnt know they existed! Seen one online for about £28 which looks promising. Did both your legs go eventually?

I think some of the neoprene supports are good.

Liz

All excellent suggestions but do be careful. My physio said to me that any type of brace/support etc should only be used alongside a suitable exercise regime to keep the affected muscles/joint/limb as strong as possible.

Bonnie

Quite right Bonnie. Quadricepts exercises on a stationary bike are good for that.

x