Just saying hello

Hi all, my name is Richard. I was diagnosed with RRMS in April of this year. Just before my 31st birthday.
I’m not really sure what to say, I don’t generally spend much time on forums/social media. Since my diagnosis, I’ve been through almost every emotion possible, but just lately I’ve been feeling like those people closest to me just don’t understand the weight that being diagnosed adds to a person. This is why I’ve joined this site, just to hear other people’s stories, and hopefully support others who may be feeling similar.
I’m currently sat in the hospital just receiving the 2nd half of my first dose of the Ocrevus treatment.
Thanks for reading guys, hope your all doing well, feel free to say hi :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Rich 126 Welcome aboard the place where no one wants to be. We’re a friendly and helpful bunch so stick with us.

1 Like

Hi Richard, welcome.
I was diagnosed last year with SPMS and like you never spent much time on forums and social media, but have found this place a great place for support or information.
Friends and family are fantastic but I don’t think many people can understand unless they experience MS (which I wouldn’t wish on anyone)
Take care

1 Like

Hello Richard,
As you’ve found, this MS Soc website is a great place for info, as is the MS Trust site, but be carefull what else you read, there’s plenty of bunkum on the www. Ask your questions here.

You’re right when you say others don’t understand - they just don’t. People seem to think that just because they’ve heard of MS they know all about it.
Ah well …welcome to the club.

Ben

1 Like

hi,iam new to the forum to n have never done this before either, ive bin on ocrevus for 2yr now. ive had ms for 15yrs now,was diagnosed wen i was 18,im now 35,wot a rollacoaster ov a life lol.i have good days n some realy bad emotional bad days.i neva relised ms even affected ya emotions,neva researched it when i was 18 {was to scared to,worried wot id find out}.has any one else bin like this wwhen they where first diagnosed?

1 Like

Hello Steph, welcome to the forum

I think most of us go through a range of emotions after being diagnosed, I know I did. I wanted to know everything there was to know and read just about anything I could get my hands on, but I still don’t know much.

Ah well…

Ben

1 Like

Hi Richard,

There are some useful videos on the Shift.MS site which help to explain stuff to friends and family.
I was diagnosed at 29 but sadly the only info at the time was from the medical professionals or the reference library. A forum at that time was where the Romans used to meet. More recently I found this place and it is a good place to get & share info or let off steam to others who might know what you are dealing with.
Wishing you all the best
Mick

1 Like

Thanks for being so welcoming guys :slight_smile: it really does help just being surrounded by people who are in the same/similar situation.

@StephDC, as Ben said, I think it effects everyone’s mental health when they are diagnosed, I also didn’t realise just how much it does. The day I was diagnosed, I felt absolutely fine to be honest, but then as the realisation came down that this is a life long journey, I think that’s when it really got to me. Now, a day doesnt go by when I don’t think about MS to some degree, whether that be something such as a physical pain, or just worried about the future and how it might affect me then. I’m sure many other people feel the same way.

I’ll definitely have a look in to the Shift MS site as I have seen it mentioned a couple of times now, but I am also careful with how much stuff I read and believe online, partly because I don’t want to get overloaded with the bad parts, and partly because I don’t want to believe something that might not be real or relate to myself.

The Ocrevus infusion went well yesterday by the way, just have a bad headache today.

Again, thanks again for listening guys, I may not be the most active online user, but just knowing you guys are here is a help.

thanx everyone for the replys,feel alot better knowing im not the only 1 thinkin these things.

1 Like