Is this a scam?

HI all, for the last 2 days i have been sent this e.mail that has gone into my spam box, it says its from the post office and i have a parcel thats been held up.

1 how did post office get my e.mail address.

2 i dont have a parcel that i know of waiting to be delivered…

The e.mail looks like its from the royal mail but theres an atatchment to be opened im not happy to open this as im not sure its a real e.mail or a scam that puts spywair on your computer.

What do you think i should do?

Barbara.xxxx

Delete! Alison

Hi Barbara,

I agree with you - sounds like a scam to me. As you say, why/how would the P.O. have your e-mail? And they don’t usually e-mail people to advise them of a delay anyway. Something not quite right with that: if it’s held up, and they know it is, why don’t they just get on and deliver it? What possible action could be required of you? And if they did want/need something from you, why not just explain it in the e-mail, instead of a stupid attachment? All highly suspicious, in my view. Bin it and don’t worry about it.

Tina

x

Barbara,

Sorry to say, Yes, this is indeed a scam - and you should never open an email attachment (unless you’ve had prior verbal notice to expect it) as they can include spyware or viruses leaving your PC available/open to dishonest people. These villains can then access anything you keep on your PC (i.e. bank account details, ID docs etc.) - and often use your PC to transmit their email to everyone in your address book !!

Bin the message immediately and probably do a virus scan of your PC as soon as possible.

Good luck and best regards,

Dom

1 Like

Delete Barbara…Postman usually leaves a card informing you a parcel waiting for pickup

Scam
Phishing scam or one that places an unwanted or unwelcome piece of software on your computer.
Might even be both.

Delete!

Geoff

Delete!!!

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/I-think-Ive-had-an-email-from-a-company-pretending-to-be-royal-mail?answer=19354504

[quote=“liamsquash”]

Barbara,

Sorry to say, Yes, this is indeed a scam - and you should never open an email attachment (unless you’ve had prior verbal notice to expect it) as they can include spyware or viruses leaving your PC available/open to dishonest people. These villains can then access anything you keep on your PC (i.e. bank account details, ID docs etc.) - and often use your PC to transmit their email to everyone in your address book !!

Bin the message immediately and probably do a virus scan of your PC as soon as possible.

Good luck and best regards,

Dom

[/quote] Thanks dom i will delete this its just solike the royal mail i can see how peple get caught out with them Barbara.xx

[quote=“anu”]

Delete!!!

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/I-think-Ive-had-an-email-from-a-company-pretending-to-be-royal-mail?answer=19354504

[/quote] Thanks Anu ive looked at this and im now sure its a scam, but i can see how people open the atatchments its so realistic Barbara.xx

[quote=“Anitra”]

Hi Barbara,

I agree with you - sounds like a scam to me. As you say, why/how would the P.O. have your e-mail? And they don’t usually e-mail people to advise them of a delay anyway. Something not quite right with that: if it’s held up, and they know it is, why don’t they just get on and deliver it? What possible action could be required of you? And if they did want/need something from you, why not just explain it in the e-mail, instead of a stupid attachment? All highly suspicious, in my view. Bin it and don’t worry about it.

Tina

x

[/quote] Thanks tina i will delete them and run a virus scan Barbara.xx

Hiya

It’s a nasty trojan virus. Plenty of these types of email from delivery companies especially at this time of year. UPS, Royalmail along with Ebay, Paypal, banks and Amazon are doing the rounds.

A useful tip is that a more-than-likely genuine email will have your name in it. A scam will have Dear Customer or simply left blank and ask you to follow a link or download an attachment.

Take care,

Marty

hi, if anyone got this scam e-mail at the same time that they were waiting for a parcel, they could just phone their local parcel force phone number, after hitting delete, delete, delete!

wendy x

I went into my post office today to pick up a parcel I missed and there is a big scam warning up about emails, supposedly, being sent from them. I would definitely delete the email x

And do not forget the other form of this scam.

You find a card stuffed through your door from a courier company (that you have never quite heard of) saying that they tried to deliver a parcel to you. To re-arrange this delivery, please phone the number on the card - which will be transferred to a very expensive premium-rate number in Columbia (or similar) that will cost you tens of pounds a minute.

The worst case I have heard of cost one victim way over £250.

Always check the detail - the internet is good for this.

Geoff

Thanks all for the replys i have seen someone else that has been sent the same email so the delete button was used, there gone now,stay safe people theres many people out there trying to get our details one way or another.

Barbara.xxx

Hi barbara, i had this e/mail last week. it even had the royal mail logo!!! scammers…