Is this a relapse?

Hi everyone I just want to get your thoughts on my situation, I have been really dizzy and wonky for the last 2-3 weeks. I have tried to ride this out hoping it would go away but it just seems to be getting worse. Do you think this is a relapse and if it would need Steriods? I have had them in the past …yuk! But if it’s what is needed then I will do it. I can’t get hold of a nurse as she is on holiday and they have said someone else will ring me over the next few days. I have 2 children 8 & 5 so really want to feel better. Thanks for any advice xx

Can you try and contact someone else - the neurologist, their secretary or your GP? Best to see someone and get it checked out. This disease involves way too much waiting in my opinion

My GP said she will prescribe Steriods if the nurse says so? But she is off and it means waiting. I just want to get this sorted.

Hi Alice,

I think, unfortunately, it sounds like a relapse. However, that does not necessarily mean you have to have steroids. There’s no evidence having steroids or not affects the long term course of the disease - i.e. how disabled you’ll become. Studies indicate no difference to how well or poorly you recover from a relapse - only the time taken. I.e. the extent of recovery is the same - it just depends whether you are desperate to get there, or don’t mind waiting it out.

Your circumstances obviously will affect this. I’m a “wait it out” kind of girl, as I’ve never fancied steroids, although I’ve always said I’d draw the line if I ever couldn’t walk or couldn’t see. But if I had two young children, like you, I might rate it as more important to feel better quickly, so perhaps I’d accept them - I don’t know.

The point is, there’s always a choice: you’ve never “got to have” them, and it won’t affect things long-term, if you choose not to.


Thanks for the advice Tina x Think I want to get them just because I really want to be able to get back on my feet and take the kids to the park etc. The annoying thing is that the GP is waiting on the nurses decision and so I am going to have to wait. We also just had redundancy announced at work last week so I am frustrated that I am not there. I hope my job does not suffer because of this. X