Is there an aid/tool to help with weak hands/fingers?

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone of you has been able to find a tool or aid that helps with the day-to-day problems of lack of finger strength. That’s for me particularly noticeable when I’m trying to fiddle open a pouch with a sealed strip, like resealable freezer bags, or trying to hold a very slippery pen.

I have been looking online and think I’ll get some bottle/jar opener tongues, some flat nose mini pliers to open the zip bags with, but haven’t found anything decent to slip over existing pens. I don’t fancy buying a whole new set of pens (as there are special pens for people with arthritis I could buy). The pencil sleeves for kids do not work as my pens have a slightly wider diameter.

Just thought I’d ask - what have you found that helped you with the weak finger strength, if you suffer from this?

Cheers

Karin

Hi Karin

Do you have contact with a physio, who could help with exercises and perhaps point you in the direction of devices to strengthen weak muscles. as needed.

All the best

Boojumx

Thanks Boojum!

That´s interesting, does that mean that I can do something to make it better? I was kind of thinking and hearing from others that it’s a question of just having to live with it. What do you think? I can certainly get some physio help on this in that case! :slight_smile:

Cheers

Karin

While getting a physio assessment is the best idea, some work with a squeeze ball and therapy putty should help.

You could use Dagon software, teaches you to speak not type. https://dyslexiabox.co.uk/pages/dragon-naturally-speaking?gclid=CjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-Wiqq2dicDwudtT6BdmFrCSbCPftW4np4kKeLcjKXQx0sZgQfgmpaIx4HRoCxeUQAvD_BwE

Hi have you looked on the complete care shop website? they have loads of gadgets on there to make life easier. I have got a gadget to help open jars. bottles and ring pulls but I do struggle with grip seal bags. I know they sell loops that you can attach to your finger and a pen this will help you grip a pen while you are writing.