Irregular heartbeat/ heart flutter-like symptons

Just thought I’d run it past you just in case it rings a bell with anyone else out there. About two years ago I started waking in the night, usually about 4am, with what I thought was my heart racing so fast it was more of a flutter lasting for maybe a minute at the most. It happened more and more each night and I eventually went to my GP. I was referred to a cardiologist and have had ECGs ultrasound scans and a camera down my throat taking photos (not recommended without sedation), and apart from a few leaky valves and high blood pressure he’s quite happy there’s nothing to be concerned about.

I’m still getting these flutters and am beginning to think it’s something to do with M.S. I ran it by the neurologist who looked at me as though I wasn’t the full shilling and he said he hadn’t heard of anything like that. If I am asleep I wake up with a bit of activity going on in my closed eyes, then a bit of lip tingling and an intense sensation through most of my body, resulting in the heart flutters. As I haven’t been carted off to hospital with a heart attack yet I’ve started to think that this may be some kind of muscle twitching in my chest somewhere. It never happens during daylight hours, and it isn’t panic attacks, as I’ve had them before and don’t get the sensation of impending death.

Is this something anybody else recognises? If so let me know.

Hi there, your post really rang a bell with me. I’ve had a similar thing happen with my heart. It always happens at night and my heart seems to change beat for a minute or so. It beats faster and then goes back to normal. I’ve wondered if it is linked to my ms but I’ve never asked anyone, perhaps I’ll mention it to my neuro in February at the annual visit. Sorry I can’t shed any light or help but at least we know we’re not alone! Jenni x

Could be palpitations, or anxiety. Go to your Dr and get checked out. Always best to see your GP with any health issues Lynn x

Hello

Occasional palpitations can be normal for a lot of people. Do you consume a lot of caffeine drinks or eat late at night?

Have you been prescribed medication for the high blood pressure. I have an heart murmer and get palpitations…I’ve had a heart scan. Seems the murmer is very minor and probably had it for years.

You should go back to your gp if your concerned.

take care

Hiya

Could be a number of things to be honest. I have had flutters in my heart since diagnosis but went to GP and had ECG and other tests that came back normal and as I relaxed the palpatations slowed up.

Prob best to go back to your GP just to be on the safe side but I know that MS can cause this.

Good luck.

Shazzie x

I have Atrial Fibrillation - permanenet irregular heartbeat and am on warfarin. I asked the cardiologist if my problem could be due to the m.s. - that is damage to the nerves controlling heart beat. Categorically ‘no’ was his response.

But I’ve often wondered if other nerves apart from the ones traditionally associated with m.s. - (mobility, continence, vision) could be adversely affected by demyelination.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not concerned about it, I just wondered if anyone else had the same kind of symptoms. My cardiologist also said M.S. doesn’t affect the working of the heart. I had a good read on another website at the weekend because I thought the heart is a muscle full of nerves that would be connected to some part of the brain. However, it appears that the beating of the heart is controlled by nerves within the heart itself, independent of the brain. So there we have it, our brains can go to mush but the heart will carry on beating until it goes haywire on it’s own.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not concerned about it, I just wondered if anyone else had the same kind of symptoms. My cardiologist also said M.S. doesn’t affect the working of the heart. I had a good read on another website at the weekend because I thought the heart is a muscle full of nerves that would be connected to some part of the brain. However, it appears that the beating of the heart is controlled by nerves within the heart itself, independent of the brain. So there we have it, our brains can go to mush but the heart will carry on beating until it goes haywire on it’s own.

Hi. I had the same thing but day and night. Sometimes my heart rate would shot up to 200bpm causing vomiting and fainting. My GP gave me Propranolol Hydrochloride 10mg which can be taken a couple of times a day or I have Soltalol for the really bad papitations. It has helped me so maybe give Propanolol a try to even your heart rate out. No side effects and it works for me.

Hi I am experiencing the same fluttering/bubblinf feeling.had an ecg which was ok.just had a 24 hour heart monitor fitted. I get really out of breath easily too.i am Gilenya so gp thought it was best to get it checked out. Have to wait for results now.

I don’t know how they can say that MS does not cause heart issues.It’s rare but if you have a certain brain stem lesion, then it can affect the way the heart beats.