Interesting even if a little "American"

This does highlight how lucky we are in the UK with the NHS (despite all the negative stuff)

… and this lady articulates some of my own values. Not to say that it will fit well for everyone.

A TED talk about living with MS

Hi Mogace, just watched it and yes we are very lucky here with the NHS. She highlights some very good points and I do think she’s very lucky to still be able to do so much, good on her. It’s just unfortunate that most of us can’t, I would dearly be able to exercise on a regular basis, as I did so much before MS came along, but that’s the way my life is, I don’t think about the future, what happens, happens ans me worrying about it won’t help, I live for the here and now and when I feel up for it I do what I can, it’s all we can do.

Jean x

I agree Jean, the here and now are the important things to deal with, whether that is to enjoy or put up with, is a matter of luck. I know a lot of my friends (who are pretty messed up by this condition) will always celebrate he good fortune and luck of those who are less affected. As for NHS funding, when you hear the numbers involved it is quite staggering, I heard about the costs in a drug trial I was on and I was gobsmacked and flabbergasted at the same time.

mick

I will watch the Ted talk later. I have a friend who has MS and she lives in America. I actually met her here a long time ago. We email each other regularly, but she doesnt come here anymore.

When she tells me about the cost of her meds, physio etc I am flabbergasted.

She had a fall a few months ago and broke her femur and hip. She was hospitalised for 10 days. Her insurance covered the first $78,000 and I dont know what she had to pay! But I know she contacts different doctors for prices and time to pay. She is a widow. Her husband died of cancer a few years ago and the cost made them homeless.

He was living in a friend`s campervan and she was floor crashing in several family homes.

This is so alien to us and yes, we do need to praise our NHS…flaws and all. When I was in the Liverpool hospital for MS tests last year, for 6 nights, it must`ve costs a fortune and we dont even have to think about it.

Boudsx

American here. I didn’t watch the video yet. I’m currently without insurance because I just qualified for official Disability, which is part of the retirement system we all pay into out of each paycheck. Unless I buy a private policy (which would cost half my monthly income), I won’t get insurance for 2 years. Even then, it’s only partial coverage and will cost about $350/month plus unknown dollars a year in co-pays. Without the Disability ruling, I’d be without an income or any type of help for almost another 20 years, which is when I’ll reach retirement age. If my house wasn’t paid off or I had a car payment, I wouldn’t have enough money to get by. As it is, I still need my mother’s help periodically with the larger bills, and medical care is completely out of the question right now.

Hi NorasMom,

I did not intend to sound rude, as a repressed and shy english person, I am a bit intimidated (and a little envious) by people with self confidence who are willing to stand up and project to others. I feel that we Brits are very lucky to not have the severe costs of medication and medical services. There are pros and cons for both systems but reckon that even with a reasonable income, the costs would be too great for many of us here. I hope that you are as well as can be and that you avoid additional financial concerns.

Mick

Oh, I wasn’t offended by anything! Our health care (or lack thereof) is a common complaint here. On the good side, when we do have insurance, we don’t have to wait for care. If my neuro schedules an MRI, I’ll get it within a week and have the results that same afternoon. I feel bad for you guys that you can’t just see doctors or get tests whenever you want to.

Listening to how the US and the UK health systems work, I think I am glad we have NHS.

Boudsx