Injection Lessons

Hi everyone. The Rebif and all it’s gadgets have been delivered and I’m getting taught how to do it on tuesday. Just a couple of things, the bird whose coming round said leave three hours for the appt, I was wondering if anyone’s injection lessons took that long? Also, she said I will have my first dose on Tuesday morn when she comes. I need to go to work in the arvo as I have a busy day planned, d’you think this is a bad idea? Thanks, Suz xx

My first appointment took nearly two hours, mainly because there were loads of forms to fill out. The question, “What meds are you on” took forever in itself! It’s no big deal. Don’t worry about it. By the way… “the bird”!!! Personal taste, but !!! Karen x

It’s because I don’t know her official title, and she was female and quite unprofessional on the phone :slight_smile:

Hi, the lesson itself should be over in about 20 minutes or so. The nurse will usually stay to check that you don’t have an adverse reaction afterwards. (these are very rare - its just a precaution) I would suggest you are better taking the rest of the day off if its at all possible, the flu like side effects if you get them can be quite debilitating. (this isnt meant to sound as bad as it probably does, but I have never had side effects like the first injection ever again.) Good luck with it. Gary.

Hi Suz! Can’t say for Rebif but when we where shown how to do injections for my Copaxone whe all had ago and practiced on a tomato… My daughter was the best of my “who wants to inject Strudders today” people… It will become second nature after a while. Best of luck!!! Strudders

Be prepared for it - ibuprofen, big glass of water afterwards and don’t do what I did… Back when I was diagnosed in 2000, there was no titrating dose - just Rebif 44 and so that’s what I did. I just went for it, injected into a nice handy roll of fat on my stomach and left the Serono rep’s office feeling great. By the evening, I was still feeling great, so to celebrate my husband and I went on a bit of a binge at the hotel’s free bar and got well and truly sozzled. Next day, I saw my neuro and told him that I was feeling awful, but that it was self-inflicted and not the Rebif. To be honest, I’ve rarely had side-effects. There’s no way to tell how you’ll respond, so be prepared and hopefully you’ll be happily surprised. I’m still on Rebif and still doing well. I’m really pleased it’s worked so well and for so long, but I’ve been very lucky. The worst moment is just before the first injection. Once you do it, you’ll be fine. best wishes, K xx

Thanks guys, it really helps to have people in the know :slight_smile: I have booked the rest of the day off ‘just in case’ I realised half the stressing was coming from will I be okay to work in the arvo. Thanks again guys, Suz xx

I agree with those who suggest planning a quiet day. I breezed off to the supermarket after my first Avonex injection (done under the visiting nurse’s supervision at my house), feeling full of the joys and all pleased with myself. I remember feeling very peculiar indeed, standing in the check-out queue. I had been feeling so euphorically proud of myself that I had just overdone it - I should have stayed on the sofa to chill for the rest of the afternoon. Alison x

Hi Suz Hope it all goes well. Glad you have decided to have the rest of the day off. Oddly, the first injection gave me no side effects at all when I was prepared for the worst! I did take paracetomol immediately afterwards and went straight home to rest, took paracetomol 4 hours later and went to bed early. I had to do my injection lesson and first injection at the hospital and I think it took about 40 minutes. I did a few practice injections on some ‘fake skin’ but I was impatient to just get on with it! Let us know how you get on. Best wishes Tracey x