Forum

infections :-(

feeling absolutely awful again!the last 6 months ive had infection after infection (bladder) havent been clear for more than 2 day its killing me. I self cathertise taje daily antibiotics and self prescribe also started taking d mannose and aloe vera gel can anyone recommend anything else??xx

I take one cranberry tablet per day from www.healthspan.co.uk never had infection since, 5 years now.

Started taking 3 daily but it turned my P red.

G

Hiya,

Have you had tests to see what bacteria is causing the infection? My hubby has had an ongoing uti for about a month now, turns out the first 2 types of antibiotics were sensitive the the bacteria. His MS nurse I great and she chased this up with the GP and said usually the just check to see I there is protein in your urine; not often getting to the bottom of what it is.

new antibiotics look like horse tranquillisers so hopefully they will do the trick this time! Also bought cranberry supplements and D mannose tablets to hopefully keep it away!

hope it goes away soon xx

evening both. I do tame cranberry tablets nothing seems to work. the dr has finally started seeing what infection is sensitive too still not clearing xx

Hi

I’m in a similar position to you, and have had relentless UTIs all year. How often do you catheterise? It may be that you need to do it more often. And what medication are you on? I’m on Tysabri, and I know that can make you more likely to get infections. I’ve been referred to a urologist now though, so they’re starting to do tests to try & get to the bottom of it, so I reckon it’d be good to get a referral from your GP or neuro.

Dan

There are somethings that can help stop getting infections.

Don’t rub your eyes and touch you nose with your fingers. If you really need to use the backs of your fingers to rub your eyes.

Drink cranberry concentrate, not cranberry juice with added sugar or artificial sweetener.

If you are under weight important to try and get to a normal weight as you may be more vulnerable to infections. This raises the need to have a good diet with at least five portions of vegetables and fruit daily (for everyone).

Can I suggest a short trial of just taking the antibiotics, without the extra supplements. In some people they can interfere with antibiotic therapy. Good luck x

l take D-Mannose daily to keep my bladder healthy - and drink plenty of water. There is no need to take cranberry as D-mannose is the concentrated part of cranberry that helps the bladder. l also take pre biotics - very important if you take anti-biotics.

Coffee/Tea/Cola all irritate the bladder wall leaving it open to infection. Apple cider vinegar is alkaline - and helps neutralise and balance the ‘ph’. One tablespoon with a spoon of honey in water - hot or cold and drink every day will help you.

l have had a SPC [supra-pubic catheter] for 20yrs - very rare do l have a infection.

Eating celery also helps.

Do hope it clears up soon for you.

I cathertise 3-4 times a day as urologist advised. im taking trimethoprine gabepentin baclofen and I ject copaxone. im constantly washing hands just incase of germs and dont drink any caffeine tea or coffee. literally trying everything xx

blossom-reason I started taking the supplements is because ive tried the antibiotics on own for 5 months which didnt stop infections so I started taking tbe supplements thank you for advice though xx

blossom-reason I started taking the supplements is because ive tried the antibiotics on own for 5 months which didnt stop infections so I started taking tbe supplements thank you for advice though xx