In the family and a question

Hi Mary, oh I am so sorry to hear your daughter may have MS.

Have you asked her what she thinks it could be and how she would feel about being dx`d with MS?

Limbo might not be good for her. There are newer drugs available now and maybe she can benefit from them…hence limbo wouldnt be a good idea. Thats my thoughts on it anyhow.

This is very upsetting for you I know and that`s how I feel if they decide I do have HSP and not MS.

To me MS is preferable, as HSP has a 50% chance of being passed down.

Whichever, tho` as they are both pigs to live with, eh?

much love, your friend Pollxxxxxxx

Mary,

I’m relieved you too had concerns about the ethics of the question, and that you want your daughter to have proper answers, because I wasn’t sure, from your initial post, whether you thought it would be kinder not to tell her!

Perhaps it would, in a way - I can certainly understand the desire to shield someone from bad news. But the way to Hell is paved with good intentions, as the saying goes. If, in a bid to protect someone, you also deny them the freedom to make their own decisions, based on a full understanding of the facts, how can that possibly be best for them?

In days gone by, when there were no available treatments (even of symptoms), there might perhaps have been a stronger case for not telling someone something there was no help for. But now there is a wide range of both orthodox and complementary therapies to consider, I think it’s much harder to justify why anyone shouldn’t be told, and allowed to make up their own mind.

I suspect it might even be actionable at law, if a patient discovered they’d been denied information about their own health - information that might have led to treatment opportunities, or influenced key decisions. The only possible grounds I can think of would be if the patient had expressly indicated they wouldn’t wish to know, or was thought to be at risk of harming themselves or others, and the news might tip them over the brink. But even if it was the latter, I think they would have had to have shown some tendency in that direction. It wouldn’t be enough for a doctor simply to assume they “might” have an extreme reaction, with no evidence to support it.

Anyway, as others have said I hope it turns out not to be MS. It might turn out to be something more responsive to treatment - in which case all the more reason to know, as your daughter might be suffering unnecessarily, from something that could be fixed!

I do understand your worry. I don’t have children myself, but two little nephews. Knowing, as I do, that MS is in the family (I’m not the first), I sometimes have bad vibes about the future for them. This sounds mad, but I’ve always had a sort of premonition I would someday have a connection with a disabled child, but never that I’d be disabled myself. I do worry about the boys. The older one is already clumsy and awkward in PE lessons, just like I used to be. I have no proof at all that my childhood difficulties were anything to do with my subsequent development of MS, but it does make me wonder, as there seems to be quite a lot of overlap.

I do think, though, that each passing generation has a better chance than the previous one. Your daughter is still young, as are my nephews. If any of them were diagnosed today, there’s a much better chance of a cure being found in their lifetime, or at least, a really successful management technique. I’m already 45 - don’t think it’s going to happen for me. But I’m much more hopeful for those who come after.

Tina

x

Hi again Mary, the consensus seems to be to tell her, can I just say that (flick back to my previous post) in the days when I didn’t want to know there were no treatment options, if there had been I think I would have wanted to know right away so I could have taken something. As it was I got diagnosed and on to the brand new betaferon within a few months of it being licensed so in a way, I was lucky. There were also times wen I worried if. I had anything g really serious or life threatening and worried about this. , although an ms diagnosis would not have been fantastic it would have taken away this worry. However, at the same time I do appreciate your sons desire not to know and I do understand where he is coming from. Really feel from you, and everyone else on here who has replied and is going through the same things. Cheryl:)

Mary, I am so sorry you have this trouble at your door. It must be so hard when you would do anything to protect your dear daughter from harm, but unfortunately that is not possible. Like you, I am surprised that the GP feels that keeping things quiet is an option, and does not seem to see how fraught with hazard such an approach can be. I hope very much that a simple and fixable explanation is found for your daughter’s symptoms.

Alison

x

Hi, I often show a low white cell blood count. My GP has said it’s often due to infections. There are many autoimmune disorders it could be but a low white cell count is not something they look for in MS.

My daughter has had neuro symptoms for a few years, weak legs, stiff dragging and shaky legs, walks into door frames, vertigo, severe fatigue, buzzing legs and so much more.

She was found to have B12 defficiency and has vitamin b12 injections every three months, but her symptoms still persist.

Last year I had a probable diagnosis of a hereditary neurogenetic disorder and it meant she had a 50% chance of inheriting it. Thankfully my blood tests came back normal.

Your GP has no right to conceal anything from your daughter. My Neuro put in a letter in 1998 he suspected MS but said he hadn’t told me as he didn’t want to alarm me. I was fuming when I got my notes as it’s my body and I have a right to know what the problem is.

I have known a couple of families where three of them have MS. One at 19 went on to have a successful career, married had a family and was perfectly ok until her 40’s.

I wouldn’t worry about MS yet. There are many other things it could be with a low white cell count.

Jacqui x