Forum

Impossible to get flu jab & doctor on same day (Anitra)

Couple of (non-urgent) things I need to visit the doctor about - I’m starting to struggle with my pain meds; they’ve begun disagreeing with me. Been putting it off a bit, but today, a reminder came through to arrange my flu’ jab. So I thought: “Great! Two birds with one stone! I could see the doc and get the jab done both the same day, and avoid going up twice.” Why is this so damn hard? Explained to the receptionist what I was trying to do, and why (got MS, don’t drive, and the doc’s is a bus/taxi trip for me, so much better only to go up there once). So she said to try to book the flu jab first, and then do the doc’s appointment accordingly. So I was offered the flu jab at 2.14(!) on Monday 26th September, but then told all the doc’s appointments are “embargoed” until nearer the time, so I wouldn’t be able to attempt to book that 'til later. I said: “OK, I’ll have to try that then; can you just confirm Dr. D. does work Mondays?” (I’d remembered she’s only part-time). Long pause… Comes back: “No. Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays.” “OK, can I book my injection for one of those, then?” “26th September?” “No. We just decided she doesn’t work then. A Wednesday, Thursday or a Friday, please?” “OK, 6th October, 2:16?” (another ridiculously specific time) “OK. And I realise I can’t book the doctor’s appointment yet, but if I’m trying to get it the same afternoon, when can I book, please?” “That one opens up 28 days from today.” I can’t do the maths quickly enough in my head, so I say: “Thank you, I’ll have to make a mark in my diary to ring up and book 28 days from now.” I get off the phone, look at my diary, and trace 28 days from today. It comes out as 6th October - i.e. I can only attempt to book the doc’s appointment the same day I actually want it! Am I just being thick, or difficult, or something, or is this ridiculous? Tina

Could you get a telephone consultation with your GP to discuss pain meds and your 'flu shot at your local walk in centre - no pun intended??

anu wrote:

Could you get a telephone consultation with your GP to discuss pain meds and your 'flu shot at your local walk in centre - no pun intended??

Yeah, phone consultation might be the way forward. She’s done one for me before. Although I’ll still have to visit the surgery in person to pick up the 'scrip, I guess, so I’m not sure it saves anything overall. No “walk-in” centre round here, so the jab definitely has to be done at the surgery. Unless I decide to pay, and just have it done in Boots, next time I’m there. For the sake of a few quid, it might save a lot of messing about, time off work etc. I’m getting to the point I’m willing to pay for an easier life, these days, because hassle hurts more than money. I just dunno why simple things have to be so difficult. You’d think if you have two reasons to visit the surgery, you’d be able to coordinate them, wouldn’t you? Tina

Anitra wrote:

Couple of (non-urgent) things I need to visit the doctor about - I’m starting to struggle with my pain meds; they’ve begun disagreeing with me. Been putting it off a bit, but today, a reminder came through to arrange my flu’ jab. So I thought: “Great! Two birds with one stone! I could see the doc and get the jab done both the same day, and avoid going up twice.” Why is this so damn hard? Explained to the receptionist what I was trying to do, and why (got MS, don’t drive, and the doc’s is a bus/taxi trip for me, so much better only to go up there once). So she said to try to book the flu jab first, and then do the doc’s appointment accordingly. So I was offered the flu jab at 2.14(!) on Monday 26th September, but then told all the doc’s appointments are “embargoed” until nearer the time, so I wouldn’t be able to attempt to book that 'til later. I said: “OK, I’ll have to try that then; can you just confirm Dr. D. does work Mondays?” (I’d remembered she’s only part-time). Long pause… Comes back: “No. Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays.” “OK, can I book my injection for one of those, then?” “26th September?” “No. We just decided she doesn’t work then. A Wednesday, Thursday or a Friday, please?” “OK, 6th October, 2:16?” (another ridiculously specific time) “OK. And I realise I can’t book the doctor’s appointment yet, but if I’m trying to get it the same afternoon, when can I book, please?” “That one opens up 28 days from today.” I can’t do the maths quickly enough in my head, so I say: “Thank you, I’ll have to make a mark in my diary to ring up and book 28 days from now.” I get off the phone, look at my diary, and trace 28 days from today. It comes out as 6th October - i.e. I can only attempt to book the doc’s appointment the same day I actually want it! Am I just being thick, or difficult, or something, or is this ridiculous? Tina

Yes it is ridiculous, and thanks for reminding me. :wink: S XXX

Anitra wrote:

anu wrote:

Yeah, phone consultation might be the way forward. She’s done one for me before. Although I’ll still have to visit the surgery in person to pick up the 'scrip, I guess, so I’m not sure it saves anything overall. No “walk-in” centre round here, so the jab definitely has to be done at the surgery. Unless I decide to pay, and just have it done in Boots, next time I’m there. For the sake of a few quid, it might save a lot of messing about, time off work etc. I’m getting to the point I’m willing to pay for an easier life, these days, because hassle hurts more than money. I just dunno why simple things have to be so difficult. You’d think if you have two reasons to visit the surgery, you’d be able to coordinate them, wouldn’t you? Tina

Book the phone consultation with the doc on the same day / day before you are due to go for your 'flu jab & collect the 'script or, if you’re going the Boots route - ask them to collect your 'script as a result of the phone consultation & collect your new meds at the same time as your 'flu jan there. Or move to a GP closer to your home :idea: :?: :?: :slight_smile: !!

JAB