im new to this

hi im only 32 and i got told i had ms in may this year and im finding it found to come to terms withit

hi digby

its a big thing for anyone to come to terms with. have you got anybody to talk to? sometimes our nearest and dearest are struggling themselves to come to terms with your diagnosis.

i started going to a local ms society branch for a yoga class. it was good to be with people who understood exactly what i was going through.

i now go to an ms therapy centre which is further away but i really like the crowd who go there. they have lots of different treatments on offer. i started going there for HBOT (hyper barric oxygen therapy) but i’ve had a cold for months now and it hurts my ears. so this week i’m going to try one of the other therapies. crystal light therapy perhaps.

maybe you could join a pilates class. it’s really good for core strength and most physiotherapy is based on it.

it’s one of those things that you have to accept. there are many people being given a diagnosis of something terrible and even terminal. ms isnt a terminal illness and it is possible to lead a full and active life with it.

i suggest that you take it slowly but do join a group - either an ms group or an exercise class.

the hardest thing for me was that my body changed so quickly.

my physio told me that i needed to learn how to use my new body. it is possible!

however last night i abused it and got myself a hangover (i never learn)

wishing you luck

carole x

Hello Digby,

I am sorry to read that the MS MonSter has pounced on you too. But don’t for one minute think that you are taking too long in the way you are coming to terms with the new change. Of course there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to deal with things as big as this, and in the same way there is no ‘too soon’ or ‘too late’. Personally speaking, I think that it took me about four years to come to terms with my own diagnosis properly, but as the goal posts are constantly changing, then you can forgive yourself much more time than this. But one thing that I have most definately found is that a diagnosis of MS does not mark ‘the end’. When I was first diagnosed I had several offers from others with MS to show me what the disease meant, but in the end I chose to research all of this on my own (when the optic neuritis had cleared up!) as I prefer things this way. But I wish that then (25 years ago) I had had this forum to rely on and use to talk to people, and any time you want a chat or a grumble or a question, feel free to write in as we are all keen to help.

Take care,

Moira

Hello and welcome Digby,

It is hard to come to terms with as at the moment you are grieving for what you have lost. But always remember there is life with ms and you will find your way, it may take a time but you will. Have you got a wife/girlfriend anyone who you can talk to, if not and even if you have you can always come on the forum and rant or have a good old moan, we’re here, we’ll listen and sympathise with you. We understand and are willing to help in any way we can. You take care and get plenty of rest when your body says so. Sending you ((((I(HUGS)))))

Janet

x

That is the story of my weekend! Hired a van,moving furniture (new sofa and chairs) and getting rid of the old ones and the packaging so had to have a few sherberts to help the process

Hi Digby, use this forum to get involved and vent your anxieties! It can be quite therapeutic when first diagnosed and you do not know where to turn.

Hi Digby, a quick hello and welcome to the forum .

This is a great place to get to know all about MS… but also to have a good rant, cry… or a good laugh… which we’re very good at!

Pat x

Hey Digby,

It’s completely understandable to find it difficult to come to terms with your diagnosis, it certainly took me an age to come to terms with and although I often think I have, sometimes I’m not so sure. If anything, I’ve learnt to deal with it but not before going through a roller coaster of emotions. Your only 32 and the last thing you expect is to hear a diagnosis of MS. Just take one day at a time and when you are ready, you can start asking questions on this forum which really is a great help. There are also MS events which will be great for you to go along to once your ready.

Any questions, concerns ask away either via the forum or PM.

Kx

Hey Digby,

It’s completely understandable to find it difficult to come to terms with your diagnosis, it certainly took me an age to come to terms with and although I often think I have, sometimes I’m not so sure. If anything, I’ve learnt to deal with it but not before going through a roller coaster of emotions. Your only 32 and the last thing you expect is to hear a diagnosis of MS. Just take one day at a time and when you are ready, you can start asking questions on this forum which really is a great help. There are also MS events which will be great for you to go along to once your ready.

Any questions, concerns ask away either via the forum or PM.

Kx

Just Pm’d you Digby do, i meant to say i was diagnosed at 32 also! hope your okay today?

Hi and welcome, you will find good advice and good friends on this site. You are not alone, it took me a long time to come to terms with my dx. I send you best wishes. Karen

hi all sorry its took so long to write back havant been well and havant laptop cos it got broke

my ms is playing up bad at the min my legs are so painful and all i want to do is sit in a conner and cry but i know i got to live with it and am only young 33 on monday 25 feb i got my otherhalf and her family that i can talk talk to about my ms i know it will get into my head soon that i have got it i have had it 2 years this may iknow you get good and bad days but i seem to had more bad ones as my legs are giving up fast so not good anyway hope u r all ok and take care xx