If you have lost a pet

I noticed a few posts recently about people who have lost pets. A few days ago I found this and thought I would share. I warn all the ladies - some of you will cry.

To my dearest friend.
I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying you found it hard to sleep.
I spoke to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
“It’s me, I haven’t left you, I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I’m not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, “it’s me.”
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It’s possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, “I never went away.”
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew…
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over… I smile and watch you yawning
and say “good-night, God bless, I’ll see you in the morning.”
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I’ll rush across to greet you and we’ll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out…then come home to me

1 Like

aw jbk

that was lovely.

i have quite a collection of expired cats (was going to put dead cats but it sounds so wrong)

our old cat had to be put down a couple of months ago.

it’s the same vet who put down pepper, felix, pigpen, dusty and now tiger.

he’s the harold shipman of the veterinary profession. (not that i ever told him that)

yes its sad but you end up thinking that they had a warm happy home.

my sister had a dog who was her baby therefore my niece who i bought birthday and christmas presents for.

only a nut job like me could have a niece who was an american bull terrier called stella (short for stella artois - i kid you not).

she was only a year old.

my sister sent a lovely message when we had tiger put down saying that stella would be waiting for her on the rainbow bridge.

got goosebumps now.

makes me wonder if animals have an afterlife and if there’s a chance of us seeing them again.

humm maybe i’ve seen too much derek acorah!!

carole x

It is a lovely poem jbk-thank you.

I know our beautiful dog Ben will be there waiting to greet me.

xx

Lovely poem JBK

Wish I had had this poem when I lost my last dog

Thanks Graham

Our pets are so much apart of who we are - l am surrounded by my lovely friends. Most have lived very long active lives. Some taken much too early.

You never forget - or stop missing these precious pets.

This September we had to say goodbye to my daughters lovely old pony Charlie - he had a great life - and was a very much loved and popular lad. He lived to the very great age of 44! A neighbour did the honours and buried Charlie in his favourite paddock. The other horses often stand on the spot as if they know their old pal is there.

On a brighter note - Last evening somebody knocked the door - they had found a little kitten that had been dumped down the lane. They were told to try me- to see if l would take it in. They had been to the vets with it to check to see if it had been micro-chipped - but no. My neighbour lost their cat earlier this year - so l sent them round to her. She had said ‘never again’ as she was so upset. But as soon as she saw this little black bundle she was won over. l found her a bag of cat litter and food so she could get him/her settled. As yet l do not know what they are calling it. But l feel it is the best christmas present she will have.

1 Like

We have two elderly Siamese cats 15 and 16 years old. The kids don’t really remember a time when they weren’t there. They still have a few years left in them but they are closer to the end than the beginning now :frowning: