IDS comments

I wish you well with single issue George, because he was my local MP for a while and did nothing other than nourish his own huge ego. Sadly, he got rid of a really hard working constituency MP, by the simple ploy of exploiting the largely Bangladeshi community.

All the best with your choice.

I have not made my choice George; just asking where else there is to go? Whilst I believe he is a very entertaining talk show host, I’m not naive enough to think he represents what this country needs. From now on I will probably go with whoever helps people in genuine need and will vote where my concsience leads me.

Wendyx

After watching this thread I was shocked at what came through the letter box from the local council, would you be?

“TOO MUCH BLING? GIVE US A RING!”

Crimestoppers are targeting those whose lavish lifestles are paid for by proceeds of crime…new campaign tap into the sens of injustice caused by criminals and benefit cheats who are living off the community that shelters them.

…people are struggling to cope in hard economic times, they are outraged by those who grow rich on the proceeds of crime if you know, for example, a burglar, benefit cheat, drug dealer, fraudster, shoplifter,ect living it up at your expense dont let them get away with it! We receive 1/3 of value of assests seized…

No one is saying you shound not have a nice house, car, boat, holiday home. Nor immediatedly become suspicious of family friends neighbours because they have nice possessions. However, when you are working very hard just to make ends meet and the someone you know seems to have all the luxuries ithout apparently having to wirk, then it is clearly not right and IT IS ONLY FAIR SOMEONE BRINGS THEM TO ACCOUNT (my emphasis) If someone has assets which dont accord to their lifestyle, police apply the test-“prove it or lose it”.

If you any info about any crime , please call -____, your call is free no one will know you called and you may earn a cash reward. You can also give information anonymously online.

I find the attitude and especially the semantics chilling, perhaps I am naive. What is the old saying? Don’ t judge lest you be judged?? and “Its easy to judge, its harder to get it right” or something like that…

This is very worrying and another example of how the government(s) of this country are increasingly encouraging us to snoop on each other.

Just suppose a nosy and envious neighbour decides that the car you drive, that you’re paying for over years with a loan or credit card is living ‘over your means’ , that in their opinion, the car is ‘too good’ for the likes of you.

Suppose you’ve chosen to live in an area slightly less up market that what you could actually afford so that you have the spare cash to buy a nice car, computer, flat screen telly and the rest. This nosy neighbour then decides you are living better than you should be and rings the “TOO MUCH BLING? GIVE US A RING!” number. The police can then begin to monitor my movements, record who I see and where I go without me even being aware of this.

This is a violation of my civil liberties based on the suspicion and envy of my nosy neighbour.

We are becoming an increasingly fascist nation, we are encouraged to snoop and report each other with each successive campaign. Our DNA can be stored indefinitely; they attempted to introduce ID cards at huge expense.

The Communications Capabilities Development Plan was quietly revived in the 2010 spending review. This will mean the government in the UK can intercept every email, Facebook or Twitter account and any other online communication. It will be easy for criminals to encrypt their own information and evade detection in addition to costing us a fortune. Mass surveillance is a breach of our fundamental right to privacy but who cares, the erosion of our civil and human rights

From Wikipedia:

Anonymous briefings were made at some point in March 2012 indicating plans for internet monitoring, believed to be the CCDP or similar, would be announced in the forthcoming Queen’s Speech. An unfavourable reaction from public and media may have affected the timetable of implementation, with the bill being subsequently referred to as a “draft”. The speech on the 9th of May included the following:

My government intends to bring forward measures to maintain the ability of the law enforcement and intelligence agencies to access vital communications data under strict safeguards to protect the public, subject to scrutiny of draft clauses.

***Climbs quietly down from soapbox

Thank you for your reply and thought provoking information, Anu.Carefully climb up on said soapbox anytime

? not a large choice of smilies lol :wink:

Tu

Dear God above, that has chilled me to the core, I don’t think you’re being naive at all, that really is engouraging people to spy on each other, to question everything about their lifestyle, to judge. The Stasi would be proud of this government. They are Sickening,xxjo

Rebecca have just read your thread and you sicken me. I hope you never have the misfortune to have a disabled child. I really couldnt fully read your comment as I cant believe you would object to this family having this extra help. My friend has a child with Downs syndrom and although she can walk I would not begrudge her her dla as she will be looking after this child for as long as she lives in ways you obviously dont have any insight into. Maybe you should go a spend some time with the family and gain insight into their lives and what its like 24hours a day. I caant write anymore I feel sick at your attitude.

Hi Broushka

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for taking time to comment.

Tu