Hypochondriac, mad or MS?

Hi all, I’m sorry to post this as my first post!

I am currently awaiting a neurology appointment as I have had double vision for 2 years and since September I have had patches of buzzing in my legs, strange sensations in the back of my left knee, numbness to my little and ring finger on the left, buzzing and numbness in my feet, tripping and other odd bits and pieces that I seem to forget at present! Strange symptoms seem to go back 8-10 years.

Anyway, I feel like a total hypochondriac! For the last couple of years, each winter I have had problems. Last year it was a slight dragging of my left leg, the year before it was my right hand and the year before I had a massive migraine and had problems with grip, walking tremor and cognition. I convinced myself and my wife that I had Parkinson’s disease. I spent 2 years having tests for Crohn’s disease as I had persistent diarrhoea and vomiting but was found to have IBS.

Each year things resolve and I move on.

My life has changed lots in the last couple of years and I am happy in my family and my work - after a tough couple of years beating a prescription drug problem and losing my nursing registration everything seems to have come together. Life really has never been better than it is now.

i am so scared that this is all in my head (no pun intended) but really can’t see how / why if it was. In fact I’m more scared of it not being MS than I am of it being MS. And that scares me!

I find it difficult to talk to my wife about it and try to hide any problems I’m having. She’s an amazing woman and has Forgiven lots over the last couple of years but she gets very anxious about the future and has asked my “why there always has to be something wrong”? What if she’s right?

Anyway, I don’t think I will have an answer to the hypochondriac / mad / MS question for a bit but have found writing this strangely cathartic so thanks for reading!

Hi. Well I don’t think you’re mad or a hypochondriac. I think you have symptoms that you’re keen to get answers about. That is why you’re more worried about not having MS, because if you don’t have it, then you’re back at square one without answers. Sounds like it could be worth having some counseling, just so you can off load some of your worries whilst you’re waiting. If it’s not MS, then don’t give up trying to find out what is wrong. All the best.