How to deal with extreme numbness and tingling?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum as I recently got diagnosed with MS. I had my first episode last summer when I was suffering with dizziness and nausea, initially got told it was an inner ear infection until I got sent for an MRI as I still had it after a month or so and had double vision when looking to the right hand side, had some steroids and felt fine.

Fast forward to the end of last year and I had a 6 month follow up appointment with my neurologist and another MRI and turns out the numbness in my left side which I got told could be sciatica was actually another attack, and I am hopefully starting the ponesimod drug in a couple of weeks. However in the meantime in the past week I’ve unfortunately suffered with two episodes which I can only describe as thinking I was having a heart attack, and then my left side is completely numb and tingly and it doesn’t seem to be getting better.

Spoke to my MS nurse and she advised there is nothing really that can be done in terms of the numbness but it’s extremely frustrating and stopping me from doing day to day activities, can anyone help advise if there is anything at all which can help me deal with the numbness and tingling, such as baths with Epsom salts? I know it’s to do with nerves and there isn’t much that can be done but it’s really getting me down. Thanks, Danielle

I’m sorry that you are going through this. It’s such a confusing and worrying time, especially when it’s all new.

My main symptom is numbness. It’s hard to know what to do/who to ask when this is so new for you - I understand. I am here if you want to talk x

1 Like

Sorry was trying to avoid giving unwanted advice, then I saw that you literally asked for advice!

Numbness is my main symptom and it is frustrating, uncomfortable and just plain annoying isn’t it. I have permanently numb hands, and the numbness fluctuates on the rest of my body. I’m beginning to learn to read what my body is trying to tell me - the numbness definitely gets worse when I am stressed, anxious or tired.

I discovered reflexology a number of years ago, and have NEVER looked back. It’s amazing! It won’t help specifically with numbness of course, but I find it puts me in a really good headspace which in turn helps calm my symptoms. I now go every 2 weeks without fail! It’s really worth a try.

Ps. I too love a bath, but please have someone else test the water temp for you. I’ve ‘lobstered’ myself more than once!

X

1 Like

Thank you so much Amy, it is extremely frustrating as it’s affecting my every day life, however I’m starting treatment soon so hopefully that will make it better x

I have got got numbness at the moment. Head to toe on my right side. Coming to 4 weeks now. Had steroids for three days. Didn’t seem to help. It is really annoying, but I am glad that at least I can still function OK.
This is my first relapse after 9 years :expressionless: