How do I phone in sick cos of fatigue?

… Without saying “I’m too tired to come to work.” Wondered what other people have done? fed up of the response when I talk about my fatigue… Well, we’re all tired at the moment aren’t we? If only they knew what I meant!

Hi Helen, Probably a bit late for this time round, but I assume your employers know you have MS? If so, then I’m guessing they probably know by now there are some days you’re just not well enough to come to work? Can’t you have some sort of protocol for these occasions, so you can just say the MS is bad, without having to get into exactly what’s so bad about it this time? I know you’ll probably still have to cite fatigue or some such on the self certification form, although you might get away with “MS related symptoms”, as I assume no-one’s disputing that you do have it? I was made redundant last summer, but before that, used to have a sort of open agreement that I didn’t even need to call in if something happened. I know that’s not quite the same as fatigue, but they knew I had MS, that it was unpredictable, and that I was on my own at home, and wouldn’t have anyone to call on my behalf. So there was a “Do whatever you need to do to sort it out, and tell us afterwards” kind of scheme. In practice, I never used it, as the few times I was off sick, it wasn’t directly related to MS. But it was reassuring to think that if I ever did wake up and couldn’t feel my feet - as once happened - or other stuff like that, calling work didn’t have to be my number one priority. I wonder if you can get a similar sort of mutual understanding? Tina

Hi helen

As Tina has said above MS related usually stands. I had to do this a few months ago and my employer accepted it but I did go to the doctors to cover myself fully and got a line from her stating MS related fatigue which I also wrote on my self cert. I know how you feel saying I am too tired to come to work but if your employer understands MS then they will understand this hopefully.

Good luck

Claire

When I was still working my boss understood MS and I was lucky and accepted that I would very rarely take a day off unless hugely necessary. I always went to the GP as a back up if I was off for more than 1 day and he was fantastic and just used to write " exacerbation of MS symptoms"!

good luck with whatever you decide x

If you are worried your boss may not understand, make up another reason for being ill. You fell, you’re having a relapse, you have an upset tummy, you’ve been sick during the night etc.

The reason you can’t come to work is technically irrelevant, you are declaring you are unfit for work, it is not the place of your employer to ascertain how reasonable or accurate this declaration is. The only reason you tell them is so they can make alternative arrangements to cover your work for the period of absence.

Thank you for all your replies - I like the phraseology I have learnt and this will definitely help me in the future

My employers know I have MS, but I don’t think they fully understand it - took me long enough and I still get confused about it all!

I think a copy of the MS guides on the boss’ desk might help too.

We are moving to a new school building on Friday - and I had to ask the caretaker about a parking space for me naer the new building, and apparently they had totally forgotten about this - sorted now tho.

However, the boss said that he would need to have a walk with me tomorrow to show me the new parking space to which i just said - shall we have a drive round?!!

Onwards and upwards, and thanks for all your kind and helpful words

Helen

Thank you for all your replies - I like the phraseology I have learnt and this will definitely help me in the future

My employers know I have MS, but I don’t think they fully understand it - took me long enough and I still get confused about it all!

I think a copy of the MS guides on the boss’ desk might help too.

We are moving to a new school building on Friday - and I had to ask the caretaker about a parking space for me naer the new building, and apparently they had totally forgotten about this - sorted now tho.

However, the boss said that he would need to have a walk with me tomorrow to show me the new parking space to which i just said - shall we have a drive round?!!

Onwards and upwards, and thanks for all your kind and helpful words

Helen