Holiday Destinations

Hi all

want to go abroad - at Easter before it gets really hot as I discovered this summer that this has a huge effect on me. I have a wonderful husband and two teenage sons (17 & 15) and although I don’t have mobility issues as such, I can’t walk for a long period of time anymore A’s foot drop restricts this. Boys would love to go to America and have looked at New York but it’s billed as the ‘walking city’ which scares me! Husband would love a cruise but just wondered if anyone had any great recommendations. Thank you xx

Depends on budget really! you could sail to NY and fly back, or v/v, that would meet both requirements, subway and taxis so not too much walking if you don’t or can’t, they just re-opened Cortland St (world trade centre) pretty much get to all the main attractions easily, perhaps a walker with a seat would be useful. Reduced price theatre tickets at txs tonight, various booths but Times Sq one hideously busy…perhaps better to fly there and sail back, no baggage restrictions should you have overshopped!..(quite likely with teenagers in tow, those trainers are bulky and heavy!)

Alison x

1 Like

Get assessed for the remarkable fes and see if it helps with the drop foot problem.

http://odstockmedical.com/can-i-benefit-fes

1 Like

Hello, my husband and I went to New York Nov/Dec 2017. I can barely walk without a stick and before we went we found websites for companies which hire out wheelchairs/mobility scooters to visitors. We took my walking stick and rollator too. The first night we arrived (a Saturday) we discovered just how close our hotel was from Broadway/Times Square and went out to mooch around, before going to the mobility shop the next morning. We took my rollator on our mooch. It worked so well for me that we never did get to hire a chair or scooter. We bought a 4 day bus pass for one of the hop on/hop off buses that operate in the city (we purchased 3 days (5 different routes) but we got an extra day thrown in for free. Using the buses to travel the distances, I could then use the rollator for shorter distances and it all worked out fine. The final day we used the subway and got down to the tip of Manhattan and got the Staten Island Ferry. The buses were a great way of getting about above ground. Traffic is awful, so taxis would be slow. At least we had the bus commentary to entertain us when we ground to a halt. I am sure you could work out a way to do it. I had airport assistance of course. Good luck

1 Like

Hi

We went to New York last year and I’m in a wheelchair full time. Moreover we met with several American friends, some of whom have MS and varying levels of mobility. Americans are incredibly courteous and respectful towards disability and I couldn’t get over how many strangers in the street offered assistance !!! One man even ran across the sidewalk to open a door that he saw we were struggling with !! It was truly touching. We were so pleased with the experience that we went to DC this year and met with exactly the same levels of courtesy.

You get taken to the front of every queue too !! We bypassed very long waits at tourist hotspots !! Much to the displeasure of other British tourists !! I know this as the stage whispers weren’t particularly subtle !!

Of all the places that we’ve travelled to, I would say that America is a very good contender for disabled friendly tourist destinations. And New York is an incredible city. Go !!!

1 Like

Travelling by aircraft seems a daunting experience for anyone Disabled in a wheelchair or not, but in reality, it isn’t it can be a seamless experience as you are helped every step of the way, (that’s not meant as a pun).

I worked for British Airways for 26 years, as such travelled to many parts of the World. In fact, in 1988 I travelled twice around the World, some 48,000 miles in 5 days on aircraft, sponsored for Charity. Not something I would recommend but shows you it is possible.

Stick to these guidelines and you will really enjoy the experience. First on booking your flight tell them you would like assistance from check-in to the gate. This could be a wheelchair with someone pushing or a lift on a Golf type buggy. The gate could be over one mile away so don’t think you’re doing any favour’s by not asking for help. The aircraft has a certain slot for taking off if you are late because of walking difficulties, THE AIRCRAFT HAS TO GO without you, otherwise, it costs mega bucks.

If you have problems walking down the aisle when you get aircraft side, no problem, quite a few aircraft (over three-hour flight) now have small wheelchairs especially to take people up and down the aisle. If you can’t walk whatsoever, no problem, tell them and facilities will be put in place from check-in to take you to the aircraft by ambulance, high lift you to the aircraft and trained medical staff to lift you in the seat. The golden rule here is ‘tell them.’

With some airlines, you can pre-book your seat. If so get one that has more leg room and near the toilets, probably a bulkhead seat. The Civil Aviation Authority has made a ruling that no Disabled person can have a seat by an Emergency Exit for obvious reasons.

If for some reason you get to your destination and your wheelchair is missing or worse still damaged it is the airlines, or should I say good airlines signed up to something called the Haig Protocol to restore or repair your chair, see the airlines staff.

I remember I went to San Diego from Gatwick once and they left my chair behind. I was in a rush had to go down to Tijuana and the only one they had to loan me had a large sign above my head saying ‘AVIS Rent a Car.’ The times I was stopped in my Hotel by people saying “hey fella, where can I get a car.”

Have a good time, don’t worry as far as flying is concerned you will be looked after.

As Mrs H says North Americans are really nice; helpful people; except the ones who voted for Trump. I don’t know what NYC is like now; I went many moons ago when they had helicopters from JFK to the city; don’t anymore.

George

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies. I feel quite excited about the prospect now instead of daunted!! I feel I would be better going to a travel agents to book so I can talk openly about any issues as opposed to booking anonymously online. Thanks again xxx

This might help

even if you don’t usually use a scooter/wheelchair, for trailing round with family may be worth it as a back up plan,

1 Like

There are travel agents that deal with disabled travel, too…they might have good information on cruises especially. When I looked on the individual cruise websites, it was a bit daunting…some didn’t mention how the handled disabilities at all, which I think is strange for a mode of travel that has so many older travelers. I just went to NYC and I think it is relatively easy as long as you plan as much as possible…which is true even if you are just going out in London! good luck

1 Like

There is loads of info and photos just search ‘accessible cabins on cruise ships’ and or ‘mobilty at sea’ cruising ideal for people with disabilities, pretty good with dietary probs too…you could never go hungry on a cruise!

1 Like

We went to New York at the beginning of July. I too was daunted by the prospect and as our trip approached was concerned that I had done the wrong thing but I really wanted to ‘do New York’ with our teenage daughter and although non of us know what the future holds I wanted to go whilst I am still relatively mobile.

I won’t lie it was hardcore-we could have taken it easier but I wanted to do everything and didn’t want to compromise! I took my stick with me and it was a godsend in the evening.We planned each days itinerary carefully so that I didn’t waste energy and in the evening we ate close to the hotel and early. I took my stick and it was a godsend- I needed it in the evenings and occasionally during the day plus as soon as it was spotted at the airport and in queues for the Empire State building etc I was taken straight to the front without me having me having to say a thing! We also purchased 7 day tickets for the buses (the city ones) for $32 so that whenever I got too tired we could hop on a bus (even if it was just a couple of stops) The buses are air conditioned (it is like climbing into a fridge-bliss!) and plentiful.(I actually felt sorry for the people on the hop on hop off as they were sat on the top deck in the blazing sun and was glad we hadn’t forked out $60 for a 1 day pass)

I am so glad that we did it,we will have the memories for ever! I would urge you to go for it!

1 Like

Thank you all for your advice and support. We took the plunge and have booked New York!!

1 Like

You will all love it!

1 Like

Belle69 you sound exactly the same as me! I am still mobile but some days are harder than others and I’ve just bought a stick to help when I’m struggling as I’m fine in short bursts but struggle for any longer than that. I too have teenagers and want to make memories while they still want to come on holiday with us and I’m relatively ok. Excited and daunted at the same time but will certainly look into the city bus pass - thank you for that tip!