Hobby Advice

Hi, my mother suffers from ms and has recently has been declared unable to work. She does not seem to do much with her time and gets bored very easily. So I feel that if she had an interest or hobby she can start making the most of her days and possibly find her passion. She has difficulty with the left side of her body so arts and crafts will be quite difficult for her and struggles when reading. If anyone has any suggestions of any hobbies or simply activities she can do it would be a great help! :slight_smile:

What is it about reading that your mother struggles with? Would an ebook reader (kindle or similar) help? I can’t hold fat books comfortably any more, but I can hold a kindle so I now have a kindle with an extensive library on it.

Beyond that, what sorts of things is she interested in? Is there a local club she could join for an interest, be it birdwatching, gardening, music or whatever? The local library and the local papers may help your mother find a new activity or hobby.

I have to tell you how my wife has coped after losing her ability to work. I am very proud of her because despite a very weak right arm which is often useless and an inability to walk because of a weak right leg she has transformed our garden The garden was a junk yard, jungle and just neglected when she worked. It is now beautiful. She goes to our local gardening club now and is always potting plants, taking cuttings and weeding, planting out things she has grown from seed. Today she plans to weed and feed the lawn. Yesterday she planted out some lupins. Looking for a hobby came naturally to her. It is a suggestion for your mother because seeing something beautiful that you have created really becomes engaging. The downside which might cause an obstacle is that my wife has me to do the donkey work and pick her up off the ground etc. I hope it works out for your mother.

Hello

What hobbies did your mum have before her diagnosis? have you chatted with her about getting involved with local groups or trying new things? I’m just thinking, it may be easier to find out what your mum’s likes are then you will know better where to look for inspiration

I don’t know how old you are, or if you drive but is it possible you could do some things together initially to build up her confidence. Maybe your mum is feeling a little down about not working anymore.

Good luck x

I have discovered photography since my diagnosis I am now in a wheelchair but the camera goes everywhere with me. My other time waster is blogging I have five blogs and tweet about them. That’s my life mostly computer based.

Don

I have discovered photography since my diagnosis I am now in a wheelchair but the camera goes everywhere with me. My other time waster is blogging I have five blogs and tweet about them. That’s my life mostly computer based.

Don