Hemifacial spasm (HFS)

Hi, for the last 3 days I have had a slight left side hemifacial spasm (HFS) around my mouth that comes and goes. Mostly comes on in the evening. I’ve not had it before. I have been stressed and tired and understand these can make a hemifacial spasm come on. Do you think this means I am having a relapse? I spoke to a GP on 111, they didn’t have knowledge a HFS can be cuased by MS. I went to A&E and they called a neurologist that said they wouldn’t prescribe steriods for just a HFS. Do you think is this a relapse or just an everyday symptom?

well hun, never heard of HFS, but now i realise its a facial spasm. It can be caused through other things, and perhaps you should ring your GP and tell them about it. It isnt always about MS. Ours are open today.

Spasms are common in MS, and it could be a new symptom of your MS, but it could be other things too.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks. I’m still having this facial spasm, its not all the time. I’m wondering if its a Christmas relapse or an everyday MS symptom. Where’s a neurologist when you need to speak to one? My MS nurse is on Christmas break until the 2nd. I guess there’s not much that can be done as they won’t prescribe me steroids for it. Just lots of rest and speak to a GP again.