help with rebif and rebismart

I started on rebif last monday and was issued the rebismart. The MS nurse that day told me that the rebif can stay in this device for a week but the other cartridges have to stay in the fridge - simple!

However i’m starting of at the low dose of 8.8 gradually making my way up to 44mg, this means that the cartiridge is not empty for my injections this week, i was told to replace the rebif anyway today even though it is not empty as today would be the week up for it being in the rebismart. I rang the MS nurse today and she said that it was fine to continue with the cartridge i have in it as it is ok in the device for 2 weeks.

So now i have conflicting advice from two MS nurses can anyone else help and advise me?

Also one nurse told me the red blotches i was getting were normal but the one this morning said it was an allergic reaction and might have to change injections! The blotches are not hot, itchy or swollen.

Steph

Hey Stephanie - difficult but common when health care profs do not agree. It is fine out of the fridge for 2 weeks. I often call the rebismart help line for advice. When I injected my legs I got awful red marks about size of a 50p piece. Tummy and lower back fine - no marks. So now I don’t inject my legs any more. Good luck Min xx

Hey Stephanie - difficult but common when health care profs do not agree. It is fine out of the fridge for 2 weeks. I often call the rebismart help line for advice. When I injected my legs I got awful red marks about size of a 50p piece. Tummy and lower back fine - no marks. So now I don’t inject my legs any more. Good luck Min xx

I’ve been on Rebif for 12 years and still have huge red blotches. They shouldn’t itch or get hot - if they do, then it’s an infection. I’ve only had one in all that time and it was on my arm.
I inject my stomach, the back of my hips and my batwing areas on my arms. Never legs, as it’s too painful. It’s up to you - everyone is different, but that nurse is wrong. Red blotches and bruises after, are quite normal for Rebif - especially the 44 dose.

best wishes,

K

At one point I had 22 huge red blotches from Rebif! Not sore or itchy or anything - just there. It is perfectly normal - some people get them, some people don’t. The good news is that I get much smaller blotches now (1 year on) and not as often - I’ve got maybe 10 or so at the moment.

Rebif is fine out of the fridge for 2 weeks. The 8.8mcg cartridge lasts 2 weeks, so don’t throw it out until you finish it.

Karen x