help please regarding new car

I am at the stage that I need to replace my car or it is going to start needing money spent on it. During the hot weather i find that I need the air conditioning up full blast as the heat really impacts my mobility. When the weather starts to get back to normal(I live in Scotland I have no problem , cant drive for a long time, but that is an issue of MS fatigue more than anything. Anyway thought it would be an idea to get myself assessed I have been dreading it. However chased the assessment centre who then sent me a letter to say there is a 36-44 weeks waiting list Can i ask has anyone got the assessment done via motor dealership on there own car ,Help please.

Hi Sorry, I can’t help with that one. When I had an assessment it was with their cars (I tried three different ones, each with different hand controls), and I found it really helpful to try them out. So if you’re wanting to be assessed for hand controls, then it you’ll not be able to do it in your own car. I think the waiting time was only a few weeks though, so that’s pretty crap that you’ve got to wait that long. Sorry I can’t be of any more help. Dan

thanks Dan I will need to look at things maybe get a new car and then get it modified, but they don’t seem to make things easy, ironically if I could try and keep my car to the summer , as even if they assess me the weather is no problem for my driving at the moment so I might give a wrong reading , but took my son to work today and it was making a strange sound oh well due a service soon thanks again trish

trish44 wrote:

I am at the stage that I need to replace my car or it is going to start needing money spent on it. During the hot weather i find that I need the air conditioning up full blast as the heat really impacts my mobility. When the weather starts to get back to normal(I live in Scotland I have no problem , cant drive for a long time, but that is an issue of MS fatigue more than anything. Anyway thought it would be an idea to get myself assessed I have been dreading it. However chased the assessment centre who then sent me a letter to say there is a 36-44 weeks waiting list Can i ask has anyone got the assessment done via motor dealership on there own car ,Help please.

Hi Trish, Do you intend getting your car through motability? If so, once you are in their system then they are usually very good at taking you through the various stages. Best of luck Harold

thanks Harold, but going through mobility is going to take 44 weeks at their estimate

Hi Trish Just wanted to check as I think you and Harold might be talking about different things. The Motability scheme, which provides new cars if you get the high rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, is different from the mobility centres that do the assessments. If you qualified for Motability and decided to get a new car through them, it shouldn’t take that long to get it set up. Dan

hi i get the high rate mobility, which i use to run my car, but it is getting older and also in the summer I may need to get it adjusted for hand controls, got my doctor to write to the assessment centre( you need this in scotland) , got the letter back saying there is a waiting list of between 33-44 weeks, I think i may go down to the car showrooms that advertise mobility and ask there advised.

When I finally decided to get a motorbility car from choosing my KIA Soul Tempest signing the forms the pick up date was 6 weeks. Kia soul is a high up car which allows me to just open door and fall out of it with my right leg. 1.6 diesel with usual gadgets and light steering. Boot is small though back seats do drop, not sure if its that suitable for someone in a wheelchair. Anyway I love the car its smooth and well built considering its a KIA. They have come a long way and no I do not work for Kia :lol:

I saved my DLA money for 18 months and was able to buy an ex-motability 02 Renault Kangoo. Generally, ex-motability cars have been looked after and therefore reliable. New Motability cars are a brilliant idea but you must be prepared to lose your DLA mobility component for three years or more. Happy driving.

maybe seriously look at the option you did, sounds sensible

Hi, I am not sure what you need to be assessed for. I got a car with hand controls many years ago but I just asked at the dealership and they put hand controls on for me. A couple of months later car was ready, I drove it away from showroom, no problem but no assessment. No one mentioned an assessment to me so either the rules have changed, which is possible or yyou don’t need to be assessed. By the way the dvla knew about my condition. Cheryl:)

i think this is the route i am going to go down thanks for the reply