Help me please

Sorry everyone but I’m so sore and don’t know what to do or where to put myself… My legs are so painful, muscles feel to be in spasm, joints ache like mad and skin feels scalded. I’m taking my regular pain meds, Paracetamol, Amitriptyline, Gabapentin and Morphine. I’m not sleeping, walking is really difficult, I just don’t know what to do other than guzzle morphine syrup but hate taking it as it makes me drowsy and reduces my mental ability more than usual, leaving me a stupid zombie.

Any suggestions appreciated. I don’t even know what I’ve done to cause the pain to get like this. I wouldn’t moan if I’d been stupid but I haven’t.

Thanks and so sorry for the moaning, my gp has tried to be helpful giving me the biggest bottle of syrup I’ve ever seen but I hate the stuff!!! Never mind the spoon, I need a straw.

Thanks. Cath xx

Oh Cath you poor thing, could you get in touch with an ms nurse or even ask to see the neuro, you should not have to put up with pain like that. Alternatively, what about ringing the out of hours doctor and having a word.

Please dont apologise for having a moan, we are all here to listen and try to offer advice, thinking of you ((((((hugs)))))

Pam x

Oh Cath love I am sorry to hear things are so bad. It’s possible you’ve picked up a virus or infection… that would make everything worse. Are you able to see the GP tomorrow? You firstly need a urine test for UTI. A virus, when you have MS, does not show itself normally but will make all other ms symptoms worse. Even though you hate the morphine, take it up to the maximum dose… just to get some relief. And never, ever apologise for moaning on here!!! That’s what friends are for darling. Thinking of you and fingers and toes crossed that things ease up tonight. Pat xxx

hugs

Do you think there’s something in th air at the moment, I’m having a shocking week!

Take care hun

Sonia xx

Hi cath, Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it. You shouldn’t have to put up with pain like that. Thinking of you, loads of hugs!!! Take care, Mags xx

Thanks Everyone. Never thought about it but I’m struggling with urine retention which has been fine for ages, so you could well be right, but the morphine causes that too, will send a specimen in tomorrow, thanks. I’ve just had the max dose so hope I’ll sleep, I’ve been awake since 03:00 this morning and its now 22:30. Couldn’t even rest today as I had a hospital appointment. Fortunately my lovely friend drove me there so I could take syrup.

This illness is really frustrating. Thanks Everyone. I hate coming on to moan, I always feel that you all have enough to cope with yourselves, but I’m so glad I did, I’d not considered the chance I had infection, it could well be the case though. You’re all so lovely, I really value your friendship and support.

If the morphine doesn’t work I have a bottle of brandy in the cupboard, I’m not a drinker but if it helps I’ll start.

Take care. Cath xx

Thanks Everyone. Never thought about it but I’m struggling with urine retention which has been fine for ages, so you could well be right, but the morphine causes that too, will send a specimen in tomorrow, thanks. I’ve just had the max dose so hope I’ll sleep, I’ve been awake since 03:00 this morning and its now 22:30. Couldn’t even rest today as I had a hospital appointment. Fortunately my lovely friend drove me there so I could take syrup.

This illness is really frustrating. Thanks Everyone. I hate coming on to moan, I always feel that you all have enough to cope with yourselves, but I’m so glad I did, I’d not considered the chance I had infection, it could well be the case though. You’re all so lovely, I really value your friendship and support.

If the morphine doesn’t work I have a bottle of brandy in the cupboard, I’m not a drinker but if it helps I’ll start.

Take care. Cath xx

My first thought was urine infection I have a divertivulum on my bladder which cause retention I now have catheter but before I always had infections. Hope you get it sorted. XXX Don

How are you this morning Cath? Any better? Hope so. Pat xx

Cath, I do hope things have eased a little for you now, it sounded horrendous. Thinking of you and sending massive hugs. Love Nina xx PS…please let us know how you are now

Hi Cath

I soo hope things are easier for you today, sending massive ((((((hugs)))))

Pam x

Hi Cath

To be honest, I really do not know what to recommend, but I’m sure you’ll perk up soon.

A friend of mine recommended brownies when you’re feeeling pain. You know, errr, brownies…

Take care.

CP

Thanks Everyone for your kind thoughts. I’m a bit better today, skin has settled, bones still feel a bit bruised and joints are stiff but I’m mostly just tired. Don’t know what it was, waterworks are back to normal again too. I’ve had problems with that for a while, needing self catheterization at times.

I know we don’t relapse and go into remission but just out of interest, do any of you go through weeks when things seem better and worse? As some of you may know I’ve had a neck injury and we don’t know how much of my broken body is caused by that and how much by the ms so it could be that causing the pain.

I just hope I can sleep through for a change and if things continue to improve like they have since yesterday life will be worth living again. I’d been struggling with things worsening over at least a fortnight though and as you’ll all know, you end up sleep deprived causing symptoms to worsen, sleep becomes impossible and you just chase your tail.

Thanks again Everyone, talking to you all and asking for help must have done some good. You’re a really lovely group and I appreciate your kindness and support. CP I’ve heard a lot about the benefits of special brownies but as I already take regular morphine which is a derivative of heroin I think I’ll pass. I’ve a friend who keeps offering to buy me the special ingredients any time, so I’ll definitely keep that avenue available but my gp, bless him, has given me the biggest bottle of morphine syrup which is quick acting and very potent so it seems to have done the trick. Have you found it effective? If you’d rather not answer that, don’t worry.

Take care everyone and thanks again.

Cath xx

Glad things are a bit better Cath. I find my PPMS is very up and down… yes I go for weeks of things being very bad and I think that’s it for ever… and then things get better again. I think that’s normal for PPMS. It’s like I always say, don’t think a new symptom… or feeling very bad… will last. Chances are things will improve again. Be very good to yourself hon. Sometimes it helps if you think about if someone was as ill as you are now, how would you look after them? We are so bad at looking after ourselves, but ask yourself that question and then look after yourself like that. Hope you sleep well tonight, Big hugs, Pat xx

I replied but it’s vanished???

Just wanted to say Thanks Pat. You’ve hit the nail on the head. I’ve always been on the go, as an ex nurse I know what to do but feel pathetic doing it myself. I stop when I physically have to, and I don’t think I’m on my own?? As a nurse, single parent and home owner there was never quiet time. I start my course next week so maybe they’ll convince and help me.

I’m still very sore but slept well so feel a bit better in myself. Thanks again for your kind words and support.

Cath xx

Hi Cath, So sorry that you have felt so unwell. My sympathies are with you. Glad that you slept well. That makes a big difference to how we feel and I hope that helps you get through the day. Take care of yourself as Pat says. Jackie x

Hi Cath, Sorry you have been suffering so much with your MS. I definitely think that some weeks are worse than others or even days. One day I wake up more wide awake than others and alternatively sometimes all I want to do is sleep. Also, my legs can be so bad that I can hardly walk and on other days I get about a bit better. I hope that things look on the up and that you get more sleep. Look after yourself and just rest! Teresa xx

I remember a very wise person telling me to remember anti inflammatories and paracetamols, I realise you know these things BUT sometimes when we are miserable with all things MS that we forget. I hope you are having a better day sending and M

Glad you slept better Cath, I ammsure we all cope better when sleep comes easy.

Like the others have said, it is up and down, I can feel quite good in the mornings and later in the day its hard to believe I am the same person, and sometimes it is as though I have just hit abrick wall.

Take ut easy, and be kind to yourself.

Pam x

Thanks again, you’re lovely. Unfortunately I can recommend anti inflammatories but can’t take them myself due to severe allergies (seem to have quite a few now, never had any until in my 30s). They are excellent for inflammatory pain, but mine is nerve related. I’m having a quiet lazy day doing very little, it should help.

Take care everyone and enjoy your day.

Cath xx