Help - Left foot acclerator

For a few months I have been feeling that my right foot leg is just not safe to drive.

My left so far is uneffected so I got my new car with a left foot accelertor and I am finding it hard to manage - 30 years of pressing down the clutch ! I am now scared to go out although I have had a few practices in an empty car park.

Moyna xxx

Hi Moyna,

Some years ago I had one fitted on an automatic car, and if anyone else drove it for me, they could fold it down out of the way.

It did take a bit of getting used to, but with perseverance I became confident using it, and I am sure you will.

Pam x

Hi Moyna,

My car has hand-controls, but as the installer ‘forgot’ to put a steel plate (in the boot now) over the foot pedals, I only use the hand-controls when the leg gets too tired to operate the car quickly and safely.

It must be nightmare trying to do smooth left-foot accelerating after years of using your right-foot to perform that function. My heart goes out to you, and coping in traffic is an entirely different ball-game to practicing in an empty carpark !!

Best of luck …no matter how tough it is now, it’ll get easier!!

Dom

Does your car have Cruise Control, Moyna?

With time, you can learn to work the throttle with your left foot (just like a lot of rally drivers learn to brake with the right foot).
With CC, you can get rolling fast enough to use it, set the speed, accelerate and slow down using the CC.
On an ordinary road, if you pause the CC about, say, 100 yards earlier before a bend, you can switch it back on as you come out of the bend.
Practise like this, and you will teach yourself that the right foot is not so important.
Now you can learn to accelerate with the left foot.
But, comes the next question: which foot will you brake with?

Geoff

Does your car have Cruise Control, Moyna?

With time, you can learn to work the throttle with your left foot (just like a lot of rally drivers learn to brake with the right foot).
With CC, you can get rolling fast enough to use it, set the speed, accelerate and slow down using the CC.
On an ordinary road, if you pause the CC about, say, 100 yards earlier before a bend, you can switch it back on as you come out of the bend.
Practise like this, and you will teach yourself that the right foot is not so important.
Now you can learn to accelerate with the left foot.
But, comes the next question: which foot will you brake with?

Geoff

Sorry for the double post, my intention tremor got in the way.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, it does have CC and is automatic. I am supposed th accelerate and brake with the left foot. Right foot does nothing. When you brake the CC turns off until you set it again,

Moyna xxx