Forum

Left foot accelerator

advice please I am considering converting to a left foot accelerator and am not sure if I should have a driving session first before I go out on the road can anyone give any tips if they have had this done.

l drive an automatic - which is of course for the right foot. This is good for me as it is my left leg/foot that l cannot use.

Having a trial lesson - somewhere off public roads would certainly be a good idea. Hand controls are also good - so you could even try that.

Don’t venture out before you know you are adept at using the conversion.

Georgina,

I have had a left foot accelerator in my Honda Civic automatic for about 2 years now. Before this I had a normal automatic for 3 years or so. Before this I had a normal manual for over 20 years.

It was weird driving with the left foot in control of the accelerator after years of the right foot being in charge. I reckon it took me about 3 months before I was comfortable with left foot driving and doing things without thinking about it. Now that I’m used to it, it’s wonderful and allowed me to keep my independence. Is there somewhere quiet that you can practice where there are little or no cars? I didn’t have any formal lessons, but lots of practice where there were no other cars.

my Civic has two accelerators, only one of which can be used at any time, so if my wife needs to drive my car,she flips the left accelerator up and the right one comes down and then vice versa when I’m driving.

The cost of conversion was less than £200 and is probably the best £200 I’ve ever spent.

Hope it goes well for you.

derek