Has anyone tried oral estriol and where did you get it?

There have been one or two threads recently mentioning oral estriol as being very beneficial for women with MS. Has anyone tried this in tablet form? If so, where did you get it? The study I was reading about, in pubmed, was talking about women getting 8mg a day. But when I search for estriol for sale I can only find creams which are giving doses in micrograms.

l have been looking into Estriol - after a ‘MS’ friend told me about it. Can’t understand why we have not been told about it before. Next time l go to my GP l shall mention it - and see if l can have a prescription. l habe been taking Spirulina and Chlorella - and l found that chlorella does contain Estriol. But l have - from Amazon - ordered the estriol cream that you apply to chest/abdomen and l am waiting for it to be delivered. l ordered it from a uk supplier through amazon so it should arrive soon.

lts only useful for women - so the men will miss out on this one.

Keep in touch - Sewingchick - and we can swop comments on it.

Fx

[quote=“Campion”]

l have been looking into Estriol - after a ‘MS’ friend told me about it. Can’t understand why we have not been told about it before. Next time l go to my GP l shall mention it - and see if l can have a prescription. l habe been taking Spirulina and Chlorella - and l found that chlorella does contain Estriol. But l have - from Amazon - ordered the estriol cream that you apply to chest/abdomen and l am waiting for it to be delivered. l ordered it from a uk supplier through amazon so it should arrive soon.

lts only useful for women - so the men will miss out on this one.

Keep in touch - Sewingchick - and we can swop comments on it.

Fx

[/quote] Just remembered it was ‘Biovea’ - the one l ordered.

I’ve just been composing an email to my neuro, who I will be seeing at the beginning of March, asking him about the benefits of Estriol for women with MS. Tricky to do it in a tactful way - I think he will probably know all about it already, because he’s always known about everything I’ve ever brought up, which includes some very obscure treatments. But I want him to do his homework if he doesn’t. For the guys, the pubmed article I was reading suggested benefits for women with MS from Estriol and benefits for men with MS from testosterone. Campion, I will definitely let you know what I find out and will be really happy if you do the same.

Just interested to know whats this for and how does it benefit? Thanks

Lisa, Just google Estriol MS.

Lisa,

Lots of research has been done on Estriol for women with MS. The reason is that ‘most’ women with ms find that their ms symptoms disappear during pregnancy. And Estriol is the ‘pregnancy’ hormone. Given as a HRT - it is a mild hormone with no dangerous side-effects. lt helps stop hot flushes - improves bone-density so helps with osteo-arthritis etc. And also improves cognitive problems and repairs nerve damage. lt improves skin condition -stops dryness and can be the answer to persistant bladder infections.

For men - testosterone is the equivalent.

F.

For MS, the paper I read describes “neuroprotective” and “anti-inflamatory” properties of Estriol. In layman’s language, the nerves aren’t killed of as much and there aren’t so many active lesions apparent on an MRI.

Aah I see…maybe that’s another something I could take along with my many vitamins intake already? Although I have to say when I was pregnant I developed symptoms in yarm, heavy, numb and weak… This only improved shortly after I had my little boy. Very weird. At that time I didn’t have many symptoms other than occasional sensations and these didn’t seem to change any whilst pregnant. However would be interesting to see if they did have a positive effect? X

I’m a bit nervous of taking estriol without getting medical advice first. It’s a hormone that your body only produces in the last three months of pregnancy. It causes thickening of the lining of the womb and I think there may increased risk of cancer of the uterus. One to talk to your neuro about and even s/he may not know much about it. I’ll keep you posted on what my neuro says and whether he refers me on. I’ve emailed him, so he knows the question about estriol is coming.