Hallo everyone. Im new here.

Hi All.
I live in Lincolnshire and I have had PPMS for over 20 years now. I can neither walk nor talk properly, but I’ve woken up this morning so it isn’t all bad news. My journey has been up and down because after my diagnosis, I felt that the medics decided there was nothing they could do, so they gave up trying. I have asked for, ɓut never been given any medication. I have always bought my own wheelchairs and recently bought my own adjustable bed. I have been offered stuff by the nhs, but it’s always off the shelf and not suitable for my exact needs. Has it got me down? No way Pedro! My glass is always half full, and there’s an ever present smile on my face. I keep myself busy by drawing people’s pets in oil pastel. All proceeds go to a local dog charity. I look forward to chatting with you all.
Andy.

10 Likes

Hi Andy

Welcome to the group that on one would choose to join, but it is what it is, and we make the most of things.

Your positive attitude certainly helps so keep that going.

Lots of lovely people here who are always willing to offer help when they can.

Take care

Pam x

2 Likes

Hi Andy
So not exactly “new”, just taking your time! Welcome aboard :smiley:

I admire your philosophy - you live with your condition but refuse to let it define you. I’m trying to do the same though am more of a beginner (had PPMS for perhaps 8 years but only diagnosed 2.5 years ago).

Graeme

2 Likes

Oh Andy! what a truly Wonderfully positive post!

I’m an old PPMS timer too. I’m 71 and still managing to live a good life…despite being immobile and depending on hubby and carers for just about everything.

Keep smiling Andy!
boudsx

2 Likes

Hi Graeme.
Thanks for your reply. After 20 years I’m convinced that a positive attitude is the only way. I appreciate that this condition affects everyone differently, but the last thing any of us needs is depression on top.
Its good to be in touch with you.
Take care.
Andy

1 Like

Hi Pam.
Thanks for your reply. After 20 years I’m convinced that a positive attitude is the only way. I appreciate that this condition affects everyone differently, but the last thing any of us needs is depression on top.
Its good to be in touch with you.
Take care.
Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to the group. What a great positive post to read, it put a smile on my face. I have ppms too, diagnosed with it last year but they think it started maybe 5 years before that. I’m with the attitude that we can’t change the ms and I don’t think about what the future might be! I just keep smiling and will keep working 2 days a week till I can’t do it anymore. Take care, Angie❤️

Hi Andy,

Wow - you are amazing! Such a positive attitude, makes me feel ashamed of my recent dark thoughts about the whole MS thing.

Thank you so much for sharing with us on here. We are all here to lend support where we can, even if your having a bad day and just need to vent (I have and it felt great).

Keep up the positive attitude!
AT x

Hi welcome

I would love to see some of your drawings. I have two dogs myself.

Hi Bouds.
Im 66 so we’ve both got plenty of life in us yet. My wife is my only carer, but she’s 67 now, so it won’t be too long before we need additional help.
Take good care of yourself.
Andy

1 Like

Hi Teddy Bear.
Unfortunately I don’t know how to put pictures on here, but if you email me I’ll let you see them.
Andy
andylaker76@hotmail.com

Hi Angry (I bet you’re not really).
The Black Dog visits me from time to time, I just tell myself that’s not what I want to hear. I appreciate that not everyone can do that, but I’ve managed so far. Mind you, it helps that I’ve been on Fluoxetine for 2o years.
Take good care of yourself.
Andy

Hi Angie
I was a police officer for nearly 30 years, and I tried a few jobs, (Those that I could still manage), but no one would employ me now. I worked in a call centre for 2 years, but I couldn’t handle not being allowed to respond to the abuse in a similar manner.
Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy, a police officer for 30 years. Wow, what a great job and for so long. I’ve been in and out of different jobs as my husband was in the army so it was difficult to keep a job with moving around so much.
I have been a care assistant for the last 6 years, had a fall at work so I decided it was time to come off care. I now do activities for the residents that can’t get out of bed. I still make a big difference and I love what I do. Angie❤️

You certainly do make a difference Angie, as do all the caring profession. I broke my ankle 3years ago and spent 3 weeks in hospital during lockdown. The staff from the doctors to the cleaners were magnificent. I hate it when they get stick from the media. What did your husband do in the army? I was in the royal navy many years ago.
Andy

2 Likes

I was absolutely devastated to come off care, I always thought I’d found my vocation and love what I do. I make a massive difference because I spend time reading, painting nails, doing jigsaws. All the things as carers we never have time to do.
My husband was in the infantry, doing 21 years. Take care, Angie❤️

Hi @andylaker76

How are you doing?

The black dog has been with me quite a lot since the diagnosis if honest, I was on Fluoxetine for several years before I was diagnosed, and it was a huge help, but I’m being stubborn and don’t want to take it if I can get away with it.

I will try and exercise and eat right and hopefully, the black dog will wander off for a bit. Christmas is coming and the New Year beckons! I’m taking a leaf out of your book - glass half full…!

I’ll let you know how that goes… in the meantime, take care of yourself. x

Hi AT
We’re all different and MS affects us all in different ways as you know. So… from my perspective it is best to stay on fluoxetine , because MS is already hard to deal with. You really don’t want to add to the process with depression, after all how hard is it to take a tablet every morning? I truly wish you all the best my friend. Remember, MS doesn’t have us, we have MS.

1 Like

Hi Andy,
How are you doing with the colder weather?
Again, I owe you a huge thank you - I have contacted my GP regarding fluoxetine and am waiting for a response from them (could be waiting a while they’re a bit slow).
Have got a catch up with my managers at work tomorrow, so am keeping everything crossed that they will be kind.
Take care,
AT x

Hi AT
I have limited feeling in my feet and my wife always tells me when my feet are cold because I can’t feel it, but last night in bed i felt my feet were freezing, so it must be very cold. :rofl: I have my fingers crossed for you regarding your bosses. In my experience they usually understand, if not they are pretty heartless. My GP surgery is slow as well i think it’s the norm now unfortunately. Good luck, take care and please keep me updated.
Andy.