Forum

gym does anyone still go or start going and found a benefit

i have a local hotel who are doing deals on day membership hubby says going for a swim a couple times a week would maybe be good, and last week i did , can't do what i did in the past but as friend says at least it is something, but it also has a gym and was wondering if i could try some things in there with the assistance of the trainer that they have, has anyone went back to the gym and started doing some excervises?

trish

I have (very expensive!) health club membership.  I only use it to swim these days - I swim three times a week.   I walk when I get too tired to swim and do exercises in the water my physio has set for me.  As a result of swimming my shoulders are very strong which must help with my crutches.  I now have to be accompanied to the pool as my mobility is so poor but I swim like a fish no doubt helped by the coolness of the water.      I cling onto my swims as it is the only form of exercise I can now do.    Up until 6 months ago I also used the gym, mainly weights, rowing and cycling machine - again little and often.  I also used to do aqua aerobics which you might consider if this place offers classes as part of the package.   I would say go for it!!!!

I am convinced that exercise/physio helps to coax the best out of our dodgy bodies and it’s good for general health too, so what’s to lose?

Stick within your comfort zone and you should be fine.

Hi

I started going to the gym on the advice of my physio. I go to the local council gym on the GP referral scheme. The advantage is that it's reduced admission and the trainers are trained to work with people with medical problems.

My blood pressure is down and I have improved in the gym environment i.e. I can do more. When I first went there I struggled to do 0.4 km on the recumbent bike in 8 minutes, the other day I did 1.2 km! I am also told my core strength is better, meaning improved posture and also my upper body strength has improved. There has not been huge gains but it has been worth it all the same.

Good Luck!

I go to the gym with people from my local MS society (Hillingdon). There's a variety of abilities from almost completely able-bodied to nearly full-time chair users.

We are all convinced that it's helping us. I struggled to do a slow, low resistance 5 minutes on the bike in the beginning, but can now do a fairly fast, higher resistance 20 minutes most times. I also do a bit on the rowing machine, use some of the weights' machines and have a really good stretch. The thing that we're lacking is expert advice while we do it which would definitely be better.

The problem with using a gym is that it can be really boring if you go on your own so it's easy to find reasons not to go. So I'd recommend trying to find a buddy or taking someone with you as your carer (who should get in free, but can do stuff along side you).

Karen x

thanks for the replies i think i was panicing just in case they would not allow me to do small tasks and was wondering what benefits they would give me

trish

hi trish

i had a gym membership for several years but i let it expire. then about 18 months ago i got a leaflet through the post offering 3 years for the price of one. i can't resist a bargain!

on joining you have to have a one to one session with one of the trainers. i told him about my ms and he had never met anyone with it. he read up loads and has really gone out of his way to help. i went today for a review of my programme and i told him that it was too much for me. i like to have a choice though. he has worked out a plan that gives me a choice of 5 cardio-vascular machines but only for 5 mins not the 10 mins that i had previously.

the gym also offers yoga classes and i go to one class per week. again the yoga instructor is very keen to adapt to everybody's ailments.

i really don't mind going on my own, in fact i prefer it. i even have lunch in the cafe too!

give it a go

good luck

carole

xxxxxxx

thanks Carole

I think if i take it slowly i should be ok it has taken me all these years to get my head round going abit slower so the reason why I was avoiding it was just in case i over do it, i also thought they might hold it against me but physi said they can't

so here's hoping

Hi,

Yes I go to the gym 3 times a week after work. Because my balance is sooooo bad I can only really use the treadmill but my theory is doing something is better than nothing happy2

I'm very jealous of those that can go swimming. Since getting MS i've tried it a few times but I it's like my brain wont allow me to coordinate my arms and legs at the same time lol

Char

xxx

Hi Trish

I went to a local gym ("leisure centre") under the GP/Physio referral scheme, and quit after five weeks.  The trainer that was supposed to sort out a program for me did not consider how long it would take me to get on and off each piece of equipment.  The "supervised sessions" were anything but supervised.  It took me six weeks to get over the effects.

With hindsight, I should have dumped most of the program on the second week, and stuck to the treadmill, alternating with one of the weight machines for my chest and arms.  Had there really been some sort of supervision, I could have discussed this. I e-mailed the trainer responsible for the program telling him why I was quitting, and his response was along the lines of "Well, it was a gamble, you do have MS".

So, exercises that the physios have shown me, some exercise with hand weights, but I am just about holding steady.  I wish I could go and have some regular sessions with a treadmill (particularly now I have FES on my bad leg).

If you get a good trainer who will look at what you are capable of doing, and come up with a suitable program for you, and you stick to it, then it will surely do you some good.  But do please take note of what Karen has written above about having company.

Geoff

thanks all for the advice, well i joined and have been going swimming ever day, the staff seem very accomodating so I guess it was only fear stopping me from going. Even Doctor said it is a good idea after she had a moan about LDN. Went to aqua arobics this morning trainer asked if i wasn't a strong swimmer explained I had MS so she said just take your time

Hi,
I try and go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and also to yoga once a week. For me it is keeping enough strength in the legs to remain mobile but not increase the risk of spasticity. That is why I need the yoga, to try and keep flexible as well.
The big risk at the gym is to keep pushing yourself further and further, which is not really what is wanted, not for me at least. I do what I can to get my heart rate up, but try not to load my legs too much. I will spin at a high rpm on the bike but at an easy level.
Since I have PPMS and mobility is an issue for me, I am looking at building up a little bit of upper body strength to cope with the dreaded wheel chair, if that day should come.
I would say yes to the gym, but you need to keep well within your capabilities and listen to what your body is telling you. Forget what you used to be able to do, that was then and this is now, you need to try and not aggravate the MS while still doing worthwhile exercise.
And finally, the gym is fun and ours is full of friendly people.
Paul

I don't have any gym membership but I do have a rower/mini gym and a crosstrainer. I love my crosstrainer as it's the only time I can feel the freedom of moving my legs fast (er) and getting my heart rate up. The rower helps strengthen my arms which is beneficial for when I use the wheelchair out.

Exercise is very good and helps with the endorphines and warding of depression, so I'd do whatever you can manage and that you enjoy. The stronger you are mentally and physically, the more punch you've got back at this flamin' dis-ease!

I started going to the gym after my diagnosis last year. I go to pilates class and aquafit, I can't really manage the "gym" part as my feet hurt if I stand for too long, well not long at all really. I think its important to stay active for your health, before my first relapse I'd walk miles every day and I can't do that anymore so I want to make up the exercise in other ways if i can.

hi trish

my previous reply was written on a good day, this is the bad day reply.

i went to my yoga class this morning. i was really struggling, my arms aren't long enough! we were lying on our fronts and had to hold our ankles behind our backs. the instructor came over to help me. she gently lifted my legs a little so that i could hold my ankles - Jeeeez it hurt! she asked me if i could feel the stretch, i said (groaned) "oh god yes!"

i'm just about done in. this stuffy, muggy weather doesnt help.

carole x

My local county council run a day centre in my town which has a gym attahced to it. After feeling so fed up of doing nothing, I have started at the gym with an exercise workout drawn up by my neuro physio. I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks and I have felt massive improvements in my energy levels already and I am not suffering from insomnia at all as the exercise is knocking me out AND I am getting up a lot earlier than I used to and I am sure that this has had something to do with helping the insomnia!

Andy

thanks folk i feel fitter, isn't helping my mood at the moment but that is maybe because I want to do so much and cant, plus had a bad day volunteering in the CAB first one in screamed at me but looking at previous notes she is a regular and may have mental health problems, ah maybe a glass of wine tonight might help

There are some research papers exploring the benefits of exercise and MS. I notice they are cited and listed at the end the Wikipedia entry on Multiple Sclerosis but it is likely that you have to pay to read more than a brief abstract. Use the word 'exercise' with the Find/Search function to get to them.