Forum

Great boss

My work allow me to park at the office door and have installed a rail along the path that I need to walk from where I park to where I get in the building. They did this ages ago and it’s great. About six months ago there was a particularly bad storm here in Aberdeen and my rail has never been the same since. It was n’t dangerously wobbly but needed fixed so they go it fixed. I was having a meeting with my boss yesterday, just about work things, not about my ms, and i thanked him for getting the rail fixed. He said that was ok and asked if there was anything else I needed to help me and I said that I was ok. He told me just to ask if I did need anything. He went on to say that he worried about me in bad weather , really stormy windy weather and bad snow. I said stormy weather was unpleasant but I wasn’t so bothered about that but I said I worried about walking on the path in snow. He also said he didn’t want me worrying about getting there in snow and sitting at work all day worrying about getting home again in snow. So he said that if the weather was bad, either stormy or snowy he would be happy for me to phone in and could email me work to do at home. So, a really good outcome and I didn’t even have to ask. Good bosses do exist! Cheryl:-)

Hi Cheryl,

It’s nice to hear an antidote to the stories of bad bosses.

I don’t think my boss was ever really “bad”, as in “nasty” - he just didn’t really get it.

For example, he thought: “We would never even consider your illness!” an appropriate and reassuring thing to say.

But thats just the point: somebody needs to consider it. Being treated just the same as everyone else doesn’t work, if you have a problem none of them have.

This cartoon illustrates it for me (don’t worry, it’s not rude): http://www.kulfoto.com/funny-pictures/37187/equality-does-not-mean-justice.

I think some people are now scared to acknowledge illness or disability, just as some are scared to hold a door open for a woman, in case she’s a millitant feminist! People worry that acknowledging you’re NOT the same as everybody else may itself be some kind of discrimination.

T.

x

P.S. Sorry, my links don’t ever come out as links any more. I’m sure they used to. Dunno what I’m doing wrong.

T.

Hi, what a good, encouraging post!

before I had to take early retirement on ill health, my boss asked if there were any changes I`d like

to make work better for me.

I told him to wait and see, as I went on the sick just after he asked.

But I know if I had stayed, he would`ve got those changes done.

luv Pollx

That is so nice to hear.

I must admit I’ve been quite lucky with my boss too so far.

Since my dx in Oct he has been very accommodating and it seems that he’ll do everything he can to help and support me in managing to continue to work.

There are some nice ones out there!!

A M XXXXX

So lovely to hear good things…

I think work was the thing i worried about the most when i was dx just over 6 weeks ago. My boss was usually a really nasty piece of work but I am happy and very relieved to say that he has been amazing, as have all of my work colleagues. So supportive. I am now working three days a week for the next few weeks to help me come to terms with things and to start DMD’s, although i’m still not sure what to do with regards to drugs…so much to think about.

Nice to know there are some good managers out there! :0)

Hi,

What a lovely thing to hear, a boss with compassion, good for you Cheryl, no wonder you enjoy working there.

Janet

x

Hi Cheryl

I’m like you and have had an incredibly supportive employer (a so-called evil high street bank). I’ve had different managers over the years, but all have been great. There’s never been any problem with me needing time off work, they came to visit me when I was in hospital once, they let me work flexi-time so I can fit my hours round energy levels even no one else there can work flexi-time, they set me up so I can work from home too, and to top it all off the paid over £1,500 towards my wheelchair.

It’s been such a blessing, and I know how lucky I am.

Dan

I’ve seen both sides of this with one boss who harrassed me and belittled me at every turn. To be honest, I think she just didn’t like me and it wasn’t really related to the MS but she used it against me where she could. At one staff meeting, someone asked why we had been short-handed the week before. The truth was that she had let her favourite staff out for personal appointments at busy periods but rather than admit this she circulated minutes to the management team stating that there had been ‘staff sickness’. She then wondered why I had a complete hissy fit and insisted she rewrite and recirculate the minutes as I felt sure they would think this meant me and I had been in for my full hours that week. She rewrote the minutes (again without asking me to check if I was happy) and this time they said that the staff sickness did not refer to any individual member of staff. I had to email the management team myself and let them know the true position and she was told in no uncertain terms that this was discrimination and she could not get away with it.

If I ever needed to go home and rest during the day she was very patronising, saying things like ‘Well if you really can’t manage to stay …’

Things really broke down when she reprimanded me for not having the time to take a telephone call, but she chose to do so in a public corridor in front of several people. I refused to speak to her in such circumstances and stormed off. Again management had to make it clear to her that she had handled the whole thing very badly. She never did apologise but I issued an ultimatum and told them I would not stay working in her section any longer as I would never be treated with equality as long as I was in her team.

My new boss is totally different. She offers practical solutions when she sees I am struggling. She organises others to take on some of my workload. If she thinks I look at all peaky she sends me home so I don’t try to carry on and make myself worse but she appreciates my need to be in work as much as possible rather than sitting at home. There is also none of the false sympathy; she is empathetic to my needs and it makes such a difference. She also regularly tells me how much I am appreciated and how she recognises that, no only do I do my job well, but that it costs me more personally than it would a fit, healthy person.

Tracey