Glasses after optic neuritis

Hi, I have trouble seeing in the distance and reading subtitles on tv (not from MS). I also have a little blurry vision in my left eye and can’t see small writing up close after untreated optic neuritis years ago. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how optician appointments work if you didn’t fully recover from optic neuritis. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all. I have been there myself. After your ON your eye will take about 8-9 months to recover the vision, depending on how bad it was. During this time, your vision will be changing. At this point, you might as well wait. I had lost vision completely. I went to the optician 12 months after the ON, when I felt that most of my recovery was done. I eventually recovered about 80% of the vision. I must say, I was petrified as I was so scared to go back for tests. Well, I was wrong. The optician calmed me down and he said to me that there are special lenses that could improve my vision significantly, in both eyes, even in the eye with the ON. It’s true. Thanks to my current glasses, I can see rather well, a lot better than before. We tend to forget that the opticians have some very good solutions for us who have gone though ON.

2 Likes

Good question! My vision returned after ON but not to the same standard. When the affected eye is tested on its own there is some residual damage although it’s hard to describe. But my optician understands that the eye takes a moment to focus on what it’s looking at so an eye test takes a bit longer. Don’t worry, your optician will know all about ON problems.

1 Like

Thank you. I sometimes have to look above or to the side of the word to be able to see it (also hard to explain). Thank you again for your answer

Thank you so much for your response. I’ve been putting this off for years out of fear.

1 Like