Getting a job

Hi everyone, I have left my job a month ago it was the best thing to do. I am able to work and have ms,just wondered if anyone has been in this situation.As I love working just would like to know if anyone has found it really difficult getting a new job,I know the job situation is bad at the moment. Would like to here anyone story,I have a lot of experience.

Hi, I guess it depends a lot on how MS affects you. I dont think you have to mention at an interview that you have MS.

Others will have better knowledge about this than me.

But good luck in your search.

pollxx

Apart from bladder problems and mobility issues (i alternate between wheelchair and rollator depending on walking distance!) I don’t have any MS issues! Do you think I can get a job? Before my walking difficulties I worked as an analytical chemisist, I know lab work is out, but I have an MSc but I am finding it really difficult to get a job - apparently I’m overqualified! I understood there is a shortage of scientists in the UK.

Hi, yes I think you could get a job. However you post strikes a cord with me because I am only affected by my walking and also alternate between rollator and wheelchair. Must admit don’t know what I’d do if I had to look for a new job. Since you can’t hide your disability I think you’ll have to play to it’s strengths, the things you have done despite being disabled, I think you might also be wise in looking towards jobs that involve your qualifications, even if you have ruled out lab work. The thing that comes to my mind is teaching, we always seem to be needing science teachers. I’m not much help really but just wanted to send some encouragement your way. Cheryl:-)

Thanks Cheryl

I have actually started to do some private tutoring through an agency but only seem to be able to get about 5 students a week - 5 hrs work is not enough I need about 16 to make ends meet! If I can get to 16 I will also be eligible for tax credits. I haven’t been able to find a local school that will take me - no QTS cert., can’t do the practicles, they don’t have the facilities to cope with me teaching from a wheelchair! My local FE college doesn’t teach sciences… but I will keep trying. I am open to other ideas if anyone has any.

Carol

Hi Carol

Have you considered uploading your CV to one of the online sites such as jobsite for example? I think the idea is that you input your experience and qualifications and the type of jobs you are interested in and they email you if they have a job in your area that matches. Might be worth a try?

Tracey x