Free Prescriptions

Hi

As pwMS are we entitled to free prescriptions?

Thanks

ln the past - this question has cropped up many times - with different opinions. Now - it has been my experience - and l have had ms for 30yrs. YES you can get exemption from prescription charges. MS is a progressive disease. You can get a form from your GP/Receptionist to claim an exemption certificate. Get your GP to sign it for you. This is what l did - now l am over 60 and do not need it. Some folk say you can only do this if you have difficulties walking to the chemist/doctors - but that was not my situation. l think you need to stand your ground. lf folk with diabetes/thyroidism can automatically get it then so should we.

lf you don’t ask you won’t get.

F.

It isn’t one of the automatic conditions for exemption so it would be up to your doctor whether to sign the form or not.

Liz

Hi, Ive been exempt from charges under the cant leave the house unaided section on the form. So, no, sadly, we aren`t automatically exempt as those with other conditions are.

luv Pollx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

is the official word on the subject.

The “specified medical condtions” for which exemption is automatically granted are:-

• a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring an appliance or continuous surgical dressing
  • a form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison’s disease) for which specific substitution therapy is needed
  • diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
  • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
  • hypoparathyroidism
  • myasthenia gravis
  • myxoedema (hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
  • epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
  • continuing physical disability that prevents the person from going out without help from another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months
  • cancer

As MS is not among these, you will not automatically get exemption, unless your disability is bad enough that you cannot leave the house without assistance.

The link above also contains details about help with prescription costs if you are on a low income, plus details of the Prepayment Certificates.

Perhaps the list needs updating? (I don’t know how long ago it was drawn up)

Don’t think we are. I pay Prescription Prepayment for a years prescriptions. - ask at your surgery. Very good value for money as I get about four items a month.

Jen x

NHS website says:-

’ If you will have to pay for more than 3 prescription items in 3 months, or more than 13 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC. The charge for a single prescription item is £7.65, whereas a three month PPC will cost you £29.10 and a 12 month PPC £104.00…