Fear of sleep anxiety fatigue exhausted

I have a massive fear of going to sleep and it’s impacting me badly mentally I have a fear I won’t wake up I have really bad nightmares my anxiety is that bad at the minute and it’s also making my ms flare is there anything I can do any advise on support even with sleeping pills I’m still awake all night and the pain in my body is intense

1 Like

Have you spoken with your GP about your anxiety? Are you getting any treatment for it ( other than sleeping pills, which might be a short term/ sticking plaster fix but aren’t going to tackle the underlying causes)?

1 Like

Yes I’m on treatment and I’m seeing some one about it however the sleep is terrible they have given me a short course of sleeping pills however that worries me that it’s going to make it worse once I don’t have them x

1 Like

In my personal experience, sometimes just a few nights of blessed zopiclone-induced sleep is just enough to break the hideous cycle of insomnia-driven anxiety and depression and give the system the opportunity to get back on track.

1 Like

i tried this and it worked however waas short term so im back to square one im stilll figuring out how to use his site so i appoligise if i have replied wrong lol x

1 Like

OK, I’m going to share what I do. It might sound a bit weird, but I’m too old care. Last thing at night before you turn the light out, try learning a little bit of poetry off by heart. I started doing this during lockdown, and it’s the best non-drug aid I know for getting to sleep or getting back to sleep. Trying to recite in your head in the dark those few lines that you’ve just learned following on from the few the night before that you can almost but not quite remember can give the brain just enough to do to be happily occupied but unstressed. It is also a sufficiently absorbing task to crowd out the unpleasant thoughts that tend to go with a sleepless night. You know the ones. It doesn’t always work for me, but it usually does. It’s worth a try if you’re desperate, and I know how desperate insomnia can make a person!

1 Like

I suffer insomnia regularly. I recently got a Kindle: set it on dark-mode, read a chapter or two in bed and my eyelids usually start getting heavy. Personally, I’d stay away from sleeping pills, you can get addicted.