Falls

Does anyone know of a appliance I can buy to get me up after a fall

1 Like

Hi Bertie,
I know this is probably not the response you would like but as far as I am aware there is no such appliance. As useful as I would find it! When I found myself having a greater number of falls than was normal for me. I was advised to start using a wheelchair even around the house by physio’s, occupational therapist’s and my GP. It wasn’t what I wanted to hear but I’m no longer able to get myself up again unaided following a fall. To be fair it has worked out better than I expected. (I don’t comment too often as I have Cerebral Palsy, not MS so I’m never too sure how relevant my experience is but I am an expert at falling! I would have thought that I would have heard of an appliance that you are looking for…but possibly not if anyone has any ideas).
Good luck, best wishes
Brian

1 Like

Hi,
I tried a quick search via Google:
There are some expensive pneumatic cushion devices available from disability shops. I know that some ambulance crews are equipped with these sort of things. They allow the fallen person to roll on to a thin sheet which can then be safely inflated to help raise the fallen person. When I fall I try to get to my rollator, lay it down, put the brakes on then stand it up and try to climb up it. I understand that this might not be an option but it has helped me out on occasion. Good luck with your search.
Mick

1 Like

Found one it is called a Mangar Camel lifter cost £2000 you can see how it works on a video, brilliant

1 Like

That’s exactly the thing I found and was going to reply except my fingers weren’t playing the game at all and I had to give up!! Damn fingers.

As Mick said, paramedics use them, I’ve been picked up after falling with the help of a Camel lifter. I must say, it’s not terribly nice being called a camel, but the relief at being raised so easily is such a relief.

Sue

Hi Bertie

As well as those (very expensive) inflatable things, you can also get sets of small benches/stools which increase in height. You can then use then to create a set of steps - get your bum onto the bottom one, then up to the next one, and so on, until you get to a normal seating height

Dan

1 Like

Sounds useful

Hiya,
Hope I’m posting this in the right place!
A very good friend of mine with MS has sent me details of a lifting device called a Raizer. It looks like an excellent idea to me! Try googling :wink: I’ve looked around a little for the cost and I think they might be around £1400 ex vat. Bit pricey, isn’t everything for us that’s useful?
Hope this helps Elaine.

Seems pretty good. I have requested a price and details from a firm in Yorkshire. Thanks for the information, I now have 2 options. I fell over last week in the bedroom and had to dial for an ambulance, they got me up ok but I was on the floor for an hour. Price is not important, I just need to get up. Thanks Bertie.