Falling and the real suffering

Admin: This is not spam. I just want to share it with as many as possible.

I wrote this three years ago but it’s still relevant today, especially after a five hour wait on the living room carpet last Friday night.

I think we can all agree that falling is one of the biggest slaps in the face we have to endure. The tripping demon has a pertinent sense of timing, choosing the exact moment for maximum effect (and usually before an assemblage of spectators). This is one of the genuine stealth symptoms of a number of conditions but particularly of MS, as we have been conditioned to be wary of such spectacular mishaps. I try to stress to whomever is present when I dare take the challenge to cross a room by ambulant means, that making me laugh whilst trying to walk will have a disastrous outcome. One is also aware of intense staring eyes, scrutinising every bumbling step:

"Are they willing me to fall?! I ask myself. “Are they waiting for that moment when I meet the ground and release an explosion of drama, when they can all leap into action and rescue my poor crumpled heap, thus partly relieving their strained feelings of sympathy and guilt?”

It’s a big thing. From the first time, when my poor head met the bottom of a lamp post on a busy street in Leicester, I’ve had to face up (or down) to falling as a daily hazard. As a sporting youth I would brandish my scars as some form of medal, showcasing endeavour and bravery, but now? I’m just happy to get up again. Few people mention the bumps and bruises these days-I just get the looks and the heads cocked to one side. What use is dignity, when it just keeps kicking you back?

1 Like

I can still manage to get up after falling , most of my falls are inside the house where I have plenty of things to pull myself up . The embarrassing ones have been outside …i think I can make it or even forget that I can’t balance and fall after letting go of a wall or trying to make it from the railing to the car , it’s a sloping drive and I don’t stand a chance…but I always think I can. I remember a couple of years ago having a creepy maintenance man sent by the ot, he took great delight in manhandling me back up …i hated it so much. Michelle and Frazer xx

I’ve had my NHS powerchair for two months now - and my MS falls are a thing of the past!

I can’t understand this resistance to ‘go anywhere’ neuro-powerchairs - designed for folk with MS and MND etc.,.

There is a REASON WHY THEY ARE DESIGNED!!

BECAUSE FOLK WITH MS FALL OVER A LOT.

On the plus side:

• I have my life back, and I have more energy for doing the things I want to do.
  • I don’t have to ask for help - for people to push me or bring me things.
  • With a cup upholder on my powerchair, I can take a hot drink from the kitchen to my bedroom without spilling it over me and the carpet!
  • I am now totally safe from falls - which could kill me! - and I can zooooom around from A to B at 6mph.

Steve - it’s time to ask the NHS for a powerchair.

Fay

2 Likes

I have one too its an salsa mini 2 but I still like to walk in my home and Id feel sad if I never had a little try, especially on the park with my twin Grandaughters, they arnt bothered if I fall and the grass is soft. I think Steve already has a power chair he goes on lots of adventures. Michelle and Frazer (my assistance dog …he walks with my power chair)

Hello Fay.

Great to hear positive news. I have two power chairs, an indoor chair and a travel chair. You’re right; they are liberating. Sometimes, when transferring to my chair I get it wrong. Needs work. Next month I’m going on an aeroplane.

Best wishes xx

2 Likes

Hello Steve. I’m sorry to read of your experience. It re enforces what I believe…I’ll never get to accepting this damn diagnosis. Does anyone? You’ve had it for so much longer than me. You’ve been amazing, on your journeys the length and breadth of the country. I find you incredibly inspirational.

I’ve been diagnosed two years and four months now. With great acceleration, I’ve gone from diagnosis May 2015, to using a crutch and/or rollator, outdoors, by December.

April 2016, a manual wheelchair for outdoors, still managing to shuffle indoors, using the walls and furniture for support.

This year, motorised chair is now my mode of transport for outdoors. It is a wonderful thing and I’m glad to have it.

However, a couple of falls indoors on hard, tiled floor is painful and a little frightening even. The use of my rollator has become my normal now. Work starts later this month on getting a wider sliding back door and a ramp with hand rail at the back of the house. I can no longer get from the door to the car under my own steam. Even taking husband’s arm is a slow, unsteady journey and has been the cause of many, many tears these last couple of weeks. I can’t believe I’m actually looking forward to having the rails on the outside wall of my house! I’m not sure how long it will be before my rollator isn’t enough, indoors…

You will be fine on the plane Steve! Book your airport assistance in advance. Talk to them on the phone if need be or to clarify anything. I have used it many times now. After the first couple of times, it’s great to be able to relax and enjoy it all, knowing what to expect and how it all works. I’ll look forward to reading of your experiences. :slight_smile:

2 Likes