Extreme fatigue

I have been experiencing extreme, falling asleep, brain foggy fatigue now for around 3 months. My neuro says it’s my medication, despite my medication not changing for a year. It’s an effort to do anything. I was so desperate for this to not be my MS, that my GP ran a raft of blood tests looking for a possible alternative reason (thyroid, anaemia, etc). All were normal and I’ve never felt so disappointed!

Can MS fatigue be this debilitating? I’m desperately holding down a job but I’m not sure how much longer I can last.

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

The MS Society has produced a booklet specifically about fatigue;

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/sites/default/files/Fatigue%20August%202016.pdf

This might be a starting point for you.

Regards,

Anthony

Hi Sadly, fatigue like this can just be part and parcel of MS. Many of us have experienced this kind of deep fatigue. I’m surprised your neurologist didn’t suggest that you give Amantadine a go. It’s a drug that was originally developed as an antiviral drug, but was found to be useful in managing fatigue. It doesn’t work for everyone, but you could give it a go. Your GP isn’t likely to be able to prescribe it without the go ahead from a neurologist, but you could always try asking the neuros secretary if you could send him/her an email to be forwarded on to the neurologist. Apart from drugs, it’s a case of fatigue management that seems to be the best way of dealing with it. Essentially this is all about saving energy. Breaking jobs down into small tasks, so for example, instead of trying to clean the whole house, break it into small segments. Even to the extent of breaking room cleaning into smaller tasks. Of cours, if you don’t live alone, make sure your partner / children (assuming they are of an age to help) all do their bit. Have a look at the link Anthony has given you, or Fatigue | MS Trust Sue

extreme fatigue can be part of m.s. - (why we call it ‘fatigue’ I’m not sure - sounds like a slight inconvenience!) In reality it can be totally debilitating/knackering - I think that more pwms have to give up work because of this ‘fatigue’ than they do because of physical problems. Is there a trigger for your fatigue - mine seems to be eating - as soon as I’ve eaten - not very much- I’m zonked out.

Thank you all for your responses; lots to think about. My neuro is, ahem, “difficult”, so will bring it up with my nurse.

Thanks all,

Sarah

Hi everyone, Yes fatigue is very debilitating. I’m so pleased to read that I’m not the only one who struggles with fatigue after eating. It really does me in to the point where enjoying a meal is no longer a pleasurable thing. The only good thing is that it keeps the weight down :slight_smile: Every cloud has a silver lining

Jane X

Hello Sarah.

When I was working full time, I found the only effective weapon against fatigue was pure adrenalin. But I was a year 6 teacher and it was constant go go go. The evenings and weekends were for recouperation.

After 5 years of retirement I have no idea how I managed it.

Things to think about:

MS is a direct cause. It’s not age.

The body is constantly fighting. I have no idea what butit’s tiring.

Other specific conditions have fatigue as a symptom.

Anyone who throws in the casual “oh I get that as well” is talking out of their nether passage.

Fatigue needs to and can be managed.

It will always be out to get us.

When we need to rest, we’re not giving in, we’re re-charging to fight anew.

It will not get the better of me.

Steve