exsessive yawning

Hello I found out last week that I have highly active RRMS, and within the last two days i’v been suffering with constant yawning, about 3 or 4 times within a min, does anyone else suffer with this symptom? and is it a symptom of MS? is it something I should be worried about? please I need answers.

Sorry about your diagnosis Kylie. I’m sorry I can’t help about the yawning but just wanted to lend you my support. Haven’t seen you on here lately. How are you getting on? Have you got your head round the dx yet? It’s a bit of a cliche but don’t over think this just take it a day at a time. You may feel totally overwhelmed or strangely calm but give yourself grieving time. You’re not the person you thought you would be but you have still got wonderful times ahead! Look after yourself and take things very slowly. Keep us posted as to how you are. Take care, Teresa xx

A friend of mine has this. It tends to come and go a bit and it’s much worse when she’s actually tired, but it’s definitely an MS symptom, in her case at least (confirmed by neuro).

I hope it settles soon. I know it’s incredibly annoying!

Karen x

I get thie from time to time.So much so that sometimes I get looks at work,but I honestly can’t stop.I’ve wondered sometimes if there’s a connection to MS.

rizzo hi-do you know what causes it?

Thanks,Brenda x

Hi Kylie,

Yes my husband has had the excessive yawning for a couple of years now. When we first mentioned it to his MS nurse she hadnt heard of the connection until I found quite a bit about it online.

He finds when on the phone he has to explain to people it is a side effect of his MS in case they think he is boring them :slight_smile:

BACKGROUND:

Patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) suffer from thermoregulatory dysfunction, and repetitive yawning and sleep problems are symptoms of MS. Because yawning and sleep are involved in thermoregulation, we investigated the association between yawning, sleep, and symptom relief in patients with MS.

METHODS:

Sixty patients filled out a questionnaire about how often they yawned, whether yawning provided relief of MS symptoms, and how sleep affected these symptoms.

RESULTS:

Results showed that over one in three patients reported that their MS symptoms improved following a yawn, and of those experiencing relief, nearly half reported that it lasted for several minutes or longer. Not getting a good night’s sleep often made MS symptoms worse, while napping during the day provided symptom relief.

CONCLUSION:

This is the first study showing that yawning provides symptom relief in patients with multiple sclerosis.

1 Like

I get it from time to time but I’m not diagnosed. Have to say though reading the title of your post set me off lol

OMG I thought it was just me.

My hubby gets really hacked off as I HAVE to be noisy aswell when I yawn,if I do it quietly then there is another one straight after.

I’m sorry about your dx but sooooo pleased this has come up as a topic. I just thought it was part of becoming increasingly fat and lardy like.

Pip

[quote=pip]

OMG I thought it was just me.

My hubby gets really hacked off as I HAVE to be noisy aswell when I yawn,if I do it quietly then there is another one straight after.

I’m sorry about your dx but sooooo pleased this has come up as a topic. I just thought it was part of becoming increasingly fat and lardy like.

Pip

[/quote

Hi Pip, same her i yawn very loudly, and get told off,but i can do quiet ones,i yawn such a lot these days, i was told it was lack of oxygen,dont know what causes it but i know it can be annoying.

Had a (very!) quick look on-line so this is probably far from perfect or complete.

Yawning (without being triggered by seeing/hearing/thinking about someone else yawning or a simple lack of oxygen) seems to be controlled by the brainstem. The area involved is normally inhibited by an area(s) higher up in the brain so it doesn’t keep you yawning all the time. So, a neurological cause of excessive yawning could be a lesion on the brainstem or a lesion somewhere in the inhibitory pathway.

I also read that it can be caused by SSRI anti-depressants (e.g. citalopram, prozac, etc). Reducing the dose may help to get rid of it.

Another reason for yawning is to regulate body temperature. If you’ve got dodgy temperature control, which a lot of MSers have, then it could be related. (The hypothalamus regulates temperature - a lesion there could make temperature control over/underactive, in which case processes might come into play to trigger extra temperature-regulation, like yawning. Also, the hypothalamus might be triggering yawning because of damage elsewhere affecting temperature.)

Hope that makes sense!

Karen x

Yep I have definately got the broken thermostat,the rest of the house shiver as all the doors and windows are always open.

Pip

Hi Kylie

I have read that it is common for people with MS to experience this and I’ve had this quite a lot myself.

I have recently purchased from the MS Trust a CD to help with relaxation. On the CD we are told that it is better to breathe from the tummy instead of the chest as this allows oxygen to fill the lungs. I would recommend it, especially if you have anxiety/stress. Deep breathing from the tummy is much better for us, especially when we are trying to prepare for sleep.

Wendyx

thank you for your help everyone… i went to my docters about it and he thinks as i suffer with chronic fatigue dat it can be due to dat… i also mentioned to him dat im suffering with tempreture problems… i can be sat down in a cold room and sweat can be running down me without doing anything and he sed that cud be due to the me as my nerves system aint funcioning well, I had another MRI scan about 4 weeks ago and it shown more lesions and my neurologist called it highly active MS x

Hey guys im bk, iv got different account coz my old password a hd forgot xx

Omg I thought it was just me. This has been going on for months now. Even if I think about it I can’t stop. It also gives me a tremor in my arms. Does anyone else get the tremor?