emotional triggers

i have noticed that extreme emotions affect my legs! it seems that ms is affected by emotions.

when my dear friend died, understandably i was in bits.

much less traumatic i was burgled this week and for the first few days i was fine but today i seem to have unravelled.

does anyone else find this?

i have been doing well at going to the gym and thought i was getting somewhere but because the burglar helped himself to my car keys he also took my motability car.

not one to let it stop me i went for a bus today, i actually ran for a bus (ha! must have been a sight to behold with my wonky legs!) my legs felt like concrete after this and the rest of the day has been pants.

oh well tomorrows another day, lets see whats in store.

carole x

Hi Carole My emotions have always affected my legs even before MS. When I found out my Grandad had died unexpectedly my legs gave way, when my eldest son injured himself in ELC and had to go to hospital for stitches, my legs gave way - you get the picture. Now, when I get upset or worked up about something, they always suffer and are worse than usual. Obviously an emotional link! Teresa xx

Go Carole go I think you are an inspiration continuing on as you have done during this difficult period. Its natural for emotions to affect anyone during times of such stress and bereavement and we with MS are no different (although our outcomes might be more physically extreme). You are a marvel coping like you have.

;-))))) Mary

Absolutely yes. And in response to fairly trivial things like a stressy conversation, as well as to really bad things. Alison x

thank you so much for making me feel normal!

i haven’t always been so philosophical, i used to get very angry about all sorts of stuff that now seems trivial.

ms seems to have had a profound effect psychologically (in a good way)

carole x

thank you so much for making me feel normal!

i haven’t always been so philosophical, i used to get very angry about all sorts of stuff that now seems trivial.

ms seems to have had a profound effect psychologically (in a good way)

carole x

Sorry Carole I read this back and it sounds like I made it all about me which wasn’t my intention. I was trying to empathise about your legs but what you have been through is much worse than I have and you seem to be coping really well. Well done. Teresa xx

Hi Carole,

I remain undecided about whether stress actually induces relapses. For myself, I cannot say.

But as to whether it aggravates my sympoms - definitely YES!

Like Alison, I find even a stressy conversation can do it - it doesn’t have to be a burglary or a bereavement.

During my last relapse, I found even having to resist a dinner invitation from a well-meaning but over-pushy friend made me go weak at the knees.

Tina

Hello Carole,

The symptoms you describe sound very familiar. And I also think that the stresses you have had lately have more than earned you the right to feel the way you do! By real Achiles heel has to be with loud and unexpected noises. Last week someone accidentally dropped a mug into the sink and the noise from that was enough to make me squeek. I have NEVER been a squealer at all and have never fainted either, but MS has really changed all that.

Take care,

Moira

Hi Carole

Please dont judge me but you made me giggle

Right, back to the issue.

Yep - definately.

I have only just realised this after having MS for 9 years (even though the gp knew 7 years before telling me - muppet!)

I am sooo sorry for all the c**p that you are dealing with and at times like this, I wish I had a wand.

Firstly to stick somewhere painful in the burglar

and

Secondly to reverse c**p happening to good people

xx