DWP Christmas bonus

I had the annual letter from the DWP yesterday, saying I’m getting a £10 Christmas bonus as usual. It’s been ten pounds since I started claiming DLA 15 years ago. I wondered how long it’s been £10 for. Apparently it’s been a tenner since 1972. If it had increased with inflation, it’d be worth £130 now! Happy Christmas! Dan

4 Likes

As a comparison you could buy 50 packets of cigarettes for £10 in 1972… Now you can just about buy 1

In 1972 you could buy a house for the cost of a 5% down payment today.

I have a jar full of 1/2 pence pieces. I wonder how much they are worth today.

This week - the final week of a General Election campaign - would be the perfect time to raise the question of an increase with your local candidates from all parties. I doubt we’d get a raise, but we could have some fun with it, put them on the spot, after all, 47 years with no review must be something of a record.

Ben

Ben

1 Like

I wonder how much it costs to process all the letters

Merry Christmas.

Jan x

4 Likes

WoW! I’ve not had my letter yet. Do you get it if you’ve moved to pip?

really the cost of this is astronomical just to send out the letters 1,785,000 people got paid PIP in 2018 so the stamp alone would be about 3,000. i have had my bonus YAYYYY but no letter yet.

10.00 they either need to up it or bin it. whats the point to it. I would rather it went to NHS. Yeh in 1972 it was meaningful but now well its just money wasting. IMHO. I am sending mine to MS society. Last year it went to homeless charity.

yes if your on PIP you will get it, check your bank as mine went in before i even got my letter.

Blimey Jag you where buying expensive fags! In1975 I used to pay 22 1/2p for a packet of 10 from the “offy” On the subject of the £10 bonus when you get it don’t spend spend spend, try and make it stretch or the tax payers will come to the conclusion benefits are too generous!

1 Like

If I had saved all those £10s I would have enough to pay for round in my local.

Unfortunately I frittered it all away on food and rent.

I too received the money before the letter.

Ben

I forgot about the christmas bonus. I haven’t had a letter yet

Spoke to a friend yesterday and she said her bonus has gone into her bank account and she was not sent a letter. so mine has probably gone in as well.

So insulting! What would £10 buy you now. Think a petition to parliament is in order.
mid prefer if they gave it to nhs instead of insulting all disabled people

Whatever you decide to spend it on an extra £10 is always welcome especially at this this time of year. That’s a weeks worth of heating I don’t have to worry about!

1 Like

Yes I give mine to a charity that my children choose so that they know the positive of doing this or we use it to do a shoebox gift for the local church. I just find the whole thing is insulting

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s insulting… we are lucky to get any benefit monies at all! Stamp or no stamp!

3 Likes

Well at least you find a use for it. As for all the moan and groaners. If you don’t want it then give it to me.

3 Likes

I told my friend about the bonus she had no idea she would get it and no letter. so off she went and checked her bank account and there it was, deposited THREE WEEKS ago and she hadnt noticed lol.

Maybe it should be means tested and give more to those who need it perhaps? I am fortunate lots of others are not, and its only given as a bonus for certain benefits, so a lot of people dont get any benefits and some dont get their pensions yet sadly.

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility

1 Like