Don’t know where to turn

First time poster. I am 26 and mum has had MS for the last 20 years. She’s been housebound for the last 10 years or so and the condition just gets worse and worse. She is incredibly stubborn and I get round as much as I can to help her. Up until now, she has been able to live independently (if you can call it that) and can very slowly move about her home. She has had falls in the past and had one a couple of days ago. We are now at the point where I don’t know where to turn. She has no help from official Carers through the NHS and doesn’t have the funds for a private carer. Does anybody have any advice or know of anyone I can get in contact with to support? I know now with coronavirus it is the worst possible time but I just don’t know what to do. Please help!


Hi Jamie, sorry to hear this.

I`ve had PPMS for 22 years and wouldnt cope without carers.

I`ve had hubby doing my personal care for 11 years previously, but over the last 9 years I also have carers coming in.

You need to call Social Services and ask for a care assessment for your mum.

Under normal circumstances, there is a waiting list, which is bound to be worse now. But the sooner you get on it the better…tell them your mum is alone and needs more help asap.

She will be financially assessed to see what her income is like.

Direct payments will pay for the care. I make a contribution.