Do I have to inform the DVLA?

Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed with RRMS, this week in fact. Am I obliged to inform the DVLA now? I have been quite lucky really, my only persistent disability is pain in my arms and hands. I am going to go on to a DMD treatment, trying to decide between Rebif and Avonex. I am generally ok with driving and know when not to bother because the pain can make gripping the wheel difficult, on these days I use the bus. I don’t see it as any different to an injury, I wouldn’t drive with a broken arm so my question is do I have to inform them or can I use my own judgement?

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I’m not a driver, but I’ve been around on this forum long enough to know you have to inform them, by law - it’s not optional, I’m afraid.

Also, you should inform your insurer. For some reason, when this subject has cropped up in the past, it has sparked huge controversy, with some claiming the insurer does not need - indeed has no right - to know.

However, they are not allowed to revoke your policy nor hike your premiums purely on the basis of your diagnosis, so you have nothing to lose by telling them, and will ensure you are absolutely squeaky-clean in your dealings with them, as most if not all insurance policies are based on you having disclosed ALL material facts - including health issues - whether or not this would affect the premiums.

It seems some insurers are in the habit of replying: “We don’t care, what are you telling us for?”. BUT, if you tell them and they’re not interested, that’s up to them. Conversely, if you don’t tell them, but they are interested, and try to use it to void the insurance if you have an accident, the problem will be yours. So my view is that as there can be no adverse consequences if you tell them, but plenty if you don’t, but they think you should, you cannot be in the wrong by telling. For the price of a stamp or phone call, you will have peace of mind, knowing your insurer cannot, following an accident, turn round and say: “But we had no idea you were ill! That voids your cover!”

Tina

lnsurance companies will do all they can do get out of paying up on a claim as it is - so don’t give them the chance! lnform the dvla about your diagnosis - and also tell your insurance company. Once the dvla have been informed - all you need to do when completing your car insurance form is to ‘tick’ the section that says ‘DVLA INFORMED’ They will not put up your premium - usually they ask if they can contact your GP for information. l have had SPMS for 32 yrs - never had any trouble with DVLA or Car lnsurers.

1 Like

Hi Dumpocock,

I think if you don’t inform the DVLA and your insurances company.

If you were to have an accident, you could be held responsible.

It is better to inform them, than take a risk and give them grounds to take your licence or not pay up.

Regards, Andy

Yes, you do.

Here’s a gov.uk link:

Alison

Hi I have been told by GP to tell DVLA I am being TESTED for MS. (MRI result was multiple lesions in an MS pattern. Not seen neurologist) When I went on DVLA website it says it will fine you if you don’t tell them you have been DIAGNOSED a with MS. What do I do ?

The law is quite clear: if you have been diagnosed with MS, you MUST notify the DVLA.

The insurance thing is not quite straightforward - it is usually in the small print that you must notify them of anything that may materially affect the policy. So the logic is that if you don’t tell them, then you may have broken the contract. That means that you can be considered as uninsured. That is the last thing that you want to have happen.

I use a broker - yes, it could be cheaper, but I only have to tell them, and they pass it on.
Can get quite funny - they always have to notify the insurance company, and there is only space for one condition on the form, and they always put down my heart condition (+ one other, notified).

Play safe - always.

Geoff