Having been advised by my GP to claim this benefit (and because I havent worked for over 3 months now and am struggling financially), I have finally made the call to get the claim pack. Not sure how I feel about claiming I have a disability and not being diagnosed, but need some kind of financial support. Its funny though that having always supported myself and my children, and knowing people who blatantly abuse this benefit, that now that I do feel so poorly and my eyesight is rubbish, that I feel strange claiming this benefit and yet I really do need some help financially :s

My questions are… does anyone else claim this benefit and are undiagnosed, and who do I get to help me fill out what appears to be a nightmare form?

Many thanks xx

Hi pm64.

I too am thinking of claiming DLA…at the moment I’am in the ESA support group because of my Ulcerative Colitis…but now I have (since last year) MS type symptoms. I have had numerous tests. Have seen GP, OT, Rheum, Physio and Neuro. I have to go back to neuro in Nov. I have just got in touch with my OT again to see if he can help me with maybe some aids etc… as my fingers and wrists and shoulders are very stiff, as are my ankles. I think I may leave the DLA until later in the year when I see the rest of my ‘profesionals’ again…as I really don’t have much in the way of medical reports etc. and I think that without these I won’t have a leg to stand on (excuse the pun)…!

I don’t think you have to be dx, just have to be struggling with things, but obviously the more input you have from GP’s and the like, the better it will be for your claim.

Good Luck, and let us all know how you get on.


Hi, like you I put off claiming any benefits. If you did work you are entitled to claim ESA as well as DLA. I would advise you very strongly to get help filling in the forms and also to keep a copy of what you have sent off. I don’t know where you live but there are various neuro support centres around the country and they employ people solely for the purpose of filling in these forms. CAB are also very helpfulf. I think if the gp has suggested that you go for it then he will add the supporting statement on the form. Good luck and don’t be frightened off, you have as much right as those of us who have a label, just just don’t know where your jar is yet! Chis

You DO NOT need a DX to claim DLA.You need to show you need help…

Hi You DO NOT have to be ex to claim the benefit. It is non means tested and has the following 1- care component- low, middle, high rates 2- mobility component- low and high rates. Do not delay in putting in a claim and you can if working or not. ESA is a different kettle of fish. You have to be unemployed because of sickness/illness. It is a means tested benefit and is either income or contribution based. You will need to supply sick notes from your GP. Generally during the 13 week assessment phase you will be sent a form to complete from ATOS regarding your condition. As with MS the are good and bad days like me you could not have been DX when I filled in the form, I came towards the end of my assessment phase and they did not know I was DX. When you fill in the form do not be blasé about you condition/capabilities/needs. KEEP A DAILY DIARY note your symptoms/medication and anything else that happens. Send a copy with your medical form. If you do get Dx get a copy of 1- GP info 2- MS NURSE INFO 3- Specialist info 4- Consultant info If you are contacted for a medical state your condition/if you hav been Dix or not/what medication you take and why as well as effects/your current symptoms eg lethargy, sleepy, pain, is ion, tremor, cognitive…etc Remembers the people making the appt do not have a clue about MS- tell them, also the ‘health care professional’ may not have a clue about MS, you will probably know more thanks to google and the MS society. Also the medical info could be used for DLA purposes. In short 1- keep a diary 2- remember the form/ medical are a snapshot 3- if you are poorly if they make an appt you can defer it, but what better evidence then to see you at you worst. The resources on this main site regarding benefits are excellent. Ger help in filling forms in try 1- CAB 2- disability officer at job centre 3- local authority disability officer 4- social services Also remember you can use the forum, many of your friends have been there. Mike

Sorry first scentence oil read DX NOT EX. Please excuse typo, punctuation, gibberish, I also slurr words Mike

As Wendy states inform your GP; Neuro the report from them are very important.

Just a few ideas of the way you should answer the questions.

While hobbling along the High Street I keep near to the shops. This aids me in two ways; I am less likely to fall into the road and I can stop and look in shop windows to get a rest. I can testify that Ann Summers has the best window display.

To get High Rate you must show you need help during the night. Say something like, “I get up 2/3/4 times per night to go to the toilet, sometimes to no avail.” “My husband has to accompany me; this takes about 45 minutes each time and obviously breaks his sleep.” “It’s amazing just knowing he is there gives me so much confidence.” “He has to accompany me because once I fell over and slept where I lay that night, good job it was the middle of summer and warm.”

Contact DIAL who will come around your house and help with the forms. Or Benefits and work who give excellent advice.

Simple rule ‘don’t say one word when 100 will do’ in other words explain in detail. Always quote your worst; they appreciate MS is a variable condition. Be very careful though as there are some mistakes you could make like do not say your housebound as that begs the question why do you need the mobility component? Say “I would like to go out more if I could afford to” The examples are that examples if they are not true don’t use them.

Good luck


Wow. Thank you all so much. Very interesting to read it all. Im getting ESA at the moment as I am unable to work as I need to drive for 20 mins to get there and I cant drive as my eyesight is so bad most of the time. I only go out at weekends when my fiance is with me as I am often unsteady on my feet and need to hold on to him for support. And the last time I was able to drive and went into Asda I had forgotten my pin number (luckily had cash with me) but someone in the queue behind me called me a lush as I was shaking/jerking so much. So I wont do that again as I just wanted the ground to open up… My 17 year old daughter and a good friend accompany me to hospital appointments and my Mum drives me to the GPs. Isnt it funny that I am already justifying my claim… I have never lived on benefits before and find myself in this situation and still feel the need to justify my claim :s Again, thank you all. I will be getting all the help I can to fill out the form and will speak to my GP tomo about the medical side of it. Its on days like today when I feel so poorly that I really am unable to do anything that I feel very down about how my life is panning out.

Hi pm 64 One line comeback Thanks for calling me lush I have a 17 yr old daughter. It puts them in their place when a bloke says it, they don’t know where to put their face But people’s ignorance makes them complete arho*. Not funny having to justify yrself Mike

Oh yes & my daughters are 22, 16, 14, 12 and a sone of 6. Prior to ms I got funny looks when we ossed the road like a family of ducks largest to smallest Doesn’t he have a tv-well I just got batteries for he remote Well used to it now. Would they to a 6ft skinhead-only once

I claim DLA and being unemployed it really helps out as I get the highest rate on both parts of the benefit.I also get more jobseekers because I get DLA.

I would advise you to get help filling in the form by your local benefits advisor or local disability partnership as they will know exactly what to say and how to word your request so you are awarded the best rate appropriate for your conditiion and when I eventually get a job I still will be able to claim DLA which will really hyelp.

Good luck.