Dla Pip Attendance Allowance?

Hi to all. I’ve put a thread on Everday Living re changing from DLA to PIP before age 65. I understand, if 65 or over when the pip assessment is due, then the application has to be for Attendance Allowance instead of pip. I’m not too sure of this, so hope I’m wrong.

A bit concerning if correct as I will be 65 in January. I have High Rates of mobility & care DLA now but Attendance Allowance is £57 less each week. Clock ticking & it doesn’t seem fair if we lose out because DWP are behind their targets. Or, could the delay be intentional by powers that be?

Any advice anyone?

I think you’re wrong but can’t find the correct information at the moment. I’m fairly sure you needed to be 60/65 on a certain date a few years ago. If you were over this age you stay on DLA, younger you have to convert to PIP. I’ll have a look and see if I can find it. I’m pretty sure the Attendance Allowance is only for people over 65 who haven’t been on DLA or PIP.

Sarah

Hi Chrissie, as I understand it, you cannot apply for DLA or PIP if you are 65 or over. Has to be Attendance Allowance.

But if you are receiving DLA or PIP you can continue to receive it after 65…and that is even if you have to change from DLA to PIP.

I’ll have a bit of a Google and see if I can find the rule, but I’m pretty sure that is it.

Pat xx

Here’s a link that confirms it. If you are already receiving DLA at age 65 you will be sent the forms to apply for PIP.

Pat xx

Hi,

My understanding is that if you have the mobility component of DLA before you reach 65 then you keep this as Mobility Allowance. The care component changes to Attendance Allowance. I’m pretty sure this is right as my mum has kept her MA as she was in receipt of this at 62. She is now 89 and has AA as well.

Fingers crossed.

Regards, Anne

I’ve just found this bit on the Benefits and Work forum:

Hi there,i have just read an explanation you have given to someone who is coming up to 65years old regarding PIP.I was 65 in November and i am receiving DLA and yet i was invited to claim PIP in January this year is this right.I was already 65 when i was told i had to claim PIP which i have done with great difficulty and had a home assessment last week.Can you advise me whether this was the right thing to do by the DWP.
Thank you

Gordon answered by saying:

You cannot make a new claim for PIP over the age of 65, however, the legislation that covers the transfer of DLA claimants to PIP contains provisions to disregard this limitation.

All claimants who were under the age of 65 on 8 April 2013 will be invited to claim PIP even if they older than 65 when the invitation is made.

Hope that helps,

Sarah x

Wow! Thanks so much to all of you. The advice & links have been SO useful.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL DWP RULES on transit from DLA to PIP

ANYONE AGE 65 BEFORE APRIL 2013 WILL CONTINUE WITH DLA.

in receipt of DLA at present, whether high, low, care, mobility or both, will have a letter or phone call from the DWP to apply for PIP.

DLA recipients will change from DLA to PIP if they were below 65 when PIP was first introduced.

The current backlog at DWP dictates when the PIP letters and assessment will take place. This “transit period” does not change the rules to a different benefit (such as A.A),

DWP “intend” that all DLA recipients will be assessed by September 2017 and will begin to receive PIP at the rate based on the assessors report. This decision can be appealed if the applicant does not agree with the assessors report.

ATTAINING 65 YEARS OLD DURING THE TRANSIT PERIOD WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE TO APPLY FOR PIP.

ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE (A.A)

ANYONE WHO HAS NOT APPLIED for DLA before reaching age 65 has to apply for Attendance Allowance (AA) subject to qualifying criteria.

Phew! This took some finding out and collating but worth the effort, I think.

1 Like

Here’s a link that confirms it :- Contact the Disability Service Centre - GOV.UK

Hi Chrissie,I turned 65 at end of June, the DLA continues, I lost the care part but my old age pension is slightly more, I believe you can still be accessed for PIP unto the age of 70, there is in fact a number (not sure if it’s DWP) that you can phone and a expected monthly pension is sent to you, Brian