disabled facilities

Allo on this glorious Easter Monday.

I posted this subject on everyday living, as I am always on the lookout for hotels who provide adaptations/equipment for those of us who need more than minimal facilities.

I was incensed…maybe too strong a word for the usually placid Poll… about hotels which advertise themselves as being disabled friendly.

Now if you saw an ad for a hotel which said ‘2 rooms adapted for disabled’, would you expect more than just a wheel in shower room and chair?

I contacted the hotel and was very disappointed to learn that’s all they had.

OK, I know I may need more than some other disabled folk, but are we not entitled to enjoy hols because we need to a sk for more?

Following some of my replies on el, I am interested to know what your thoughts on this board are.

Cheers, Pollxx

Hi Poll

What a glorious day it has been.

It is a minefield when someone advertises as having disabled facilities, cos people interpret it so differently.

We were taken in completely by a hotel in Torquay, it advertised disabled facilities, but when we arrived there were 3 steps to get to the door, albeit small steps, but steps all the same.

I now would not go without speaking to a hotel to find out, but there certainly isn’t many what offer what I would call complete disabled facilities. I wonder if they think the ooutlay is too much, in case they don’t get enough takers, but that certainly does need t help for people who are iiin need.

I don’t know w what the answer any s really, would it help to google, although knowing you I expect you already have done that. Other than that if you have any local disability groups near you, they may have a list of useful info on hotels.

Sorry, not t much help, hope you are doing OK.

Pam x

Hi Polly, agree!

They should specify exactly what they mean by ‘adapted for disabled’!

Hope you’re doing well,

Pat xx

Hi Polly

Just had a thought, sorry could not think straight yesterday, dreadful fatigue and fuzzy head, bit better today, but I have one to add to your list.

A few years ago we stayed at the Glamorgan’s Holiday Hotel in Porthcawl, and whilst it is advertised as a respite care, it is a hotel. You can have whatever you need placed in your bedroom, hoists etc and they have nurses on duty if you require any help. You can either take a carer with you, or have them do it when you arrive. It was a bit pricey, but hubby and me had a lovely time.

Have a google and see what you think.

Pam x

1 Like

Hello Poll.

I had the manager of The Gonville (over priced hotel in Cambridge) staring at me in disbelief because I dared to question their commitment to providing disabled facilities…

When you book online one tends to add a note about our physical limitations… So we had:

Disabled ramp access locked.

“Due to redecorating your room can only be reached by two staircases.”

“No we can’t change your room.”

They changed it in the end after I raised merry hell-lots of waving stick in air!

My feedback review was appropriately scathing.

Some people are clueless. Oh my I’m getting a bit red again. (“But it was over four years ago!” exclaims wife.)

Best wishes, Steve

1 Like

Thank you for your replies.

Steve…you were right to stick…no pun intended!..up for what you had booked. Cheek!.

Pam…seen that hotel…looks good.I spend hours surfing stuff.They seem to understand and cater well for disabled abroad.

Pollx

1 Like

Hi Poll, you are totally right. on a similar note a major shopping centre in dublin were I live have the toilets in the middle of the shopping centre, it is all on one level. I cannot get my rollator into a normal stall so when I asked staff member for key for the disabled toilets I was told I would have to go to the customer services desk,which is at the far end of the centre.

to say my language turned the air blue is an understatement.

ann x

1 Like

Travel lodge had a bath with a handrail in one and the previous time I had used them I had a wet room. When I contacted them the couldn’t give me a list of hotels with wet rooms. I actually got stuck in the disabled friendly bath.Grrrr

Don

Now that’s something I’d never have thought about questioning!! The last time I stayed in any kind of hotel I was much more able bodied than I am now. If I was looking up lodgings now I’d just assume that “Disabled Accommodation” meant wheelchair friendly sleeping and hygiene facilities. How wrong I’d be obviously. It’s definitely something I’d query now, thanks to you all.

Cath x

Hi Poll

We’ve found the same thing over and over again- disabled friendly may mean as little as the fact they have a ramp to the front door.

We always ring and ask very precise questions about the room. Let’s face it, everyone’s disability needs are different. For my purposes we have found Premier Inn adapted rooms to be pretty good, though we always take the bed stick to help me transfer to and from my chair. They aren’t the place for an exotic holiday, but reliable enough for an enforced night or two away from home.

Kev x