Diet as treatment

Does anyone follow a specific diet to boost immune system and brain health? Im reading whals protocol and studied george jelineck recovery program.
But does anyone have any real life experience of putting diet into practice as treatment?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

There’s no magic formula to make an improvement, although one can take reasonable steps to ensure there are no deficiencies as it is the deficiencies that drag us down. Overdosing does nothing: The body takes what it needs from what it receives and any excess basically just washes through.

With MS there don’t appear to be any definites but we do have susceptibilities to lower levels. To ensure levels are OK I take daily:
Magnesium 375mg, Omega 3 Fish oil - 200mg EPA, 250mg DHA, Co-enzyme Q10 100mg, Vitamin D 3000 IU (75ug) BST doubled up GMT (Winter)

1 Like

This is Prof G’s take on diet.

Which is the best MS diet? - by Gavin Giovannoni - Prof G’s MS-Selfie Newsletter (substack.com)

2 Likes

I do pretty much what Prof G says on this except that I prefer to avoid even wholegrain cereals.

I do what Prof G says. About diet & vitamin D. I don’t believe there is a magic formula to help MS. Just eat well and healthily.

Sue

2 Likes

The only supplement that my consultant recommended was D3 at a higher than normal dose…
I take D3 @ 5000iu daily with a meal as its fat soluble, and Vit K MK7 as its recommended to to take Vit K if taking higher doses of Vit D, to help absorption.
Apparently too much Vit D can calcify in tissue such as the kidneys.

Anytime I mention anything else in regards to supplements my consultant just says as long as you’er getting other vitamins from a healthy balanced diet dont waste your money because it just gets washed away.

My dietician takes blood every few months to check levels and her take on things is exactly the same as my MS consultant, dont waste money if your levels are good.

I did find that even after 18 months of starting on D3 @ 5000iu that my D levels hardly increased, I then found out that it needs to be taken with a meal as its fat soluble, so once I started taking with a meal the levels started to rise considerably.
Thats when I was advised by a urologist consultant and a haematologist consultant to start taking the Vit K, the MK7 version, with the Vit D3 after developing some kidney stones.

1 Like

i read both whals and the other one cant remember name lol. one say do this the other say dont do this.

My take on diet is this.

I eat healthy, fish, loads of veggies and fruit. more veggies and fruit with some protein. not too much starch and very little sugar and no sat fats or as little as possible.

I eat to my energy levels. no point in feeding a ferrari, when you have a classic hillman imp under the hood lol. So i eat to my needs.

Dropped weight, and BP.

got more energy too. well a tad more. I dont eat red meat it triggers inflammatory responses. lots of chicken, fish, is all i eat. i go as gluten free as i can without being stupid over it. My bloods are very good.

I too also take extra vitimin d with my breakfast, i drink coconut milk fortified with Vitimin D and B12 and a drink with same. when the sun comes out i go out and sit in it for 15 minutes lol, about once a year ha ha.

so eat and be merry but just eat no sat fats and a ton of sugar. x

I think you should never take any vitamins or pills without your doctor’s recomendation
bc you newer know what exactly you need you also can have a hypervitaminosis and it isn’t better than hypovitaminosis

Hiya, I’m mainly dairy free, and I reduce my gluten intake. We’re all different , so it’s never a one size fits all with diet. I think it’s best to experiment with foods and see if you notice any improvements. Good luck with it all !

1 Like